Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Sko Buffs


I have a football team to root for. 

It's the Colorado Buffalos. Maybe you've heard of them? They've been in the news a lot lately. And will likely be the talk of the sports world again after Saturday's night's stunning comeback against their rivals, the Colorado State Rams. 

They also hired this new low key coach named Deion Sanders, who prefers to go by the name PrimeTime. Maybe you've heard of him?

Unlike the rest of the country, who have jumped on the PrimeTime Bandwagon, I have a vested interest in CU. My youngest daughter Abby, graduated from Boulder in 2019. Maybe you remember that unforgettable story?

While Abby was there, we went to 2 or 3 football games at Folsom Field. Each time we were greeted by rain. Or lightning. Or rain and lightning. Consequently we never got to see the Running of Ralphie (see picture above) which opens every Buff's game. 

Allegedly. 

They don't cart the poor buffalo out when the field is muddy because...well, I don't know why. Seems many a western movie includes footage of hard charging buffalo. Drizzle or no drizzle.

On one college orientation visit, we did pass by the trailer where that year's Ralphie -- they rotate them every season -- was chewing on some hay. Or some other prairie grass. Or whatever it is buffalo chew on. 

We were invited to come inside and see the poor beast up front and personal. The Buffalo is a big and intimidating animal. And not too keen on the Petting Zoo motif.

But buffalo ribs make for some fine BBQ. And should be eaten with crunchy sourdough bread in one mitt and fresh Serrano peppers in the other. A lesson I learned when I first moved to California and got my first job managing a steakhouse with los hombres kitcheneros.

It should also be noted that in the four outrageously expensive years that Abby attended CU, the team was hardly playing D1 kind of ball. Often dwelling in the basement of the once mighty Pac 12, which following this year, will be the Pac Where'd-Everybody-Go?

But this year is shaping up to be monumental for the Buffs. 

They're already 3-0. And this coming Saturday they play the mighty Oregon Ducks. Got no love for the Ducks, who were once the worthy rival of the University of Washington, where another substantial chunk of my Stay-Out-Of-A-Dirty-Nursing-Home Money went.  

Following that, they take on USC, where Ms. Muse currently works. Let the good hearted ribbing and snarky pointed banter begin.

With this revived pigskin fever, I might have to get myself a slew of CU T-shirts and jerseys. Just as PrimeTime has reshaped the team, I've done some reshaping of my own and no longer fill out anything in a XXL. If I can get my calorie intake under 1000 a day, I might be able to slide into a Medium. A size I haven't worn since 5th grade.

Sko Buffs.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Ducks! I absolutely swore I’d never attend another Ducks game after sitting in a downpour for five hours at the (since renamed) Civil War Game which ended in a 0-0 tie, known forevermore at the “Toilet Bowl.” But the Ducks have become fun to watch in the intervening…ahem…decades and I will sit in miles of traffic on Saturday to be a Quacker Backer.

Anonymous said...

If the crunchy sourdough bread is in one mitt and fresh Serrano peppers in the other, what mitt are you using to hold the ribs? Asking for a friend.

Anonymous said...

I too attended Boulder many years before your daughter. I think I attended one football game. But I wasn’t a football fan. But it’s amazing how the Buffs are so prime time now. Great for admissions and donations. Still not so great for that poor terrified buffalo they bring out pregame.