Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Lesson learned the hard way


After a 6 week absence that put a serious dent in my blog web traffic, I am back on the LinkedIn social media platform.

It feels good to be reconnected with my close to 10,000 vocational connections. In fact, permission to rejoin this vaunted platform is due in large part to all of you. Not you, Neal.

As I pointed out in my apology letter, I make it a regular habit to use LI to facilitate jobs and connections for young writers or young people in general as a way of paying it forward.

I've put it to great use in helping my daughters suss out the industry I wish they had not gone into -- Equities Investment at Goldman Sachs would've been so much better.

And I'm proud to say I've actually helped many people get jobs via some well placed e-meet intros. We didn't have anything like this back in the day. As many of my contemporaries will attest, pounding the pavement meant actually trudging up and down Wilshire Blvd. Or on my many NYC forays, Lexington and Madison Avenues. Schlepping a big leather bound portfolio has been replaced by a few well chosen keyboard clacks.

KIDS!

And while I am thrilled to be back I will say it was kind of refreshing to be on a restricted social media diet. Even though the past 50 or so days did result in some rather entertaining political memes shared on other platforms. It also had the effect of lowering my internal temperature.

Fearful of losing access to Facebook as well as Twitter (where apparently even the most vociferous fascist can spew hateful rhetoric) I found myself hemming, hawing and otherwise sugarcoating anything I wrote, so as not to run afoul. 

One of the first things I did upon rejoining the LI community was to mute and block all the right wing characters who trigger my Bronx born medulla. As my fellow involuntary inhabitant of LI prison put it, "Why bother with these cretins? You're not gonna change anyone's minds."

Point taken.  

I also need to remind myself that Quinton Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds" was purely a revenge fantasy. 

Similarly, as Ms. Muse points out, "I love your passion and willingness to stand up for a cause, but you need to channel your talents in a more productive way."

Why are women so much smarter than men? 

I think the answer comes to us via 1957...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnvgWYm8B84

Did I mention I'm a newly minted Amazon Affiliate Partner and hope to be making a 6 figure passive income by selling you stuff you didn't know you needed? Let me start with these. Oh and it's best to order in multiples. believe me: https://amzn.to/3sBRo9U

You're welcome.


No comments: