Wednesday, April 24, 2024

We the jury...


Maybe you suffer from the same affliction, but I have an inability to detect history in the making when history is actually being made.

For instance, on September 11, 2001, I was scheduled to get on a plane to Phoenix to pitch the crown jewel account in advertising: Red Roof Inn. Even after watching those 767's fly into the World Trade Center I called my art director John Shirley and said, "Do you think this is going to delay our flight?"

The magnitude had simply not hit me.

Similarly, on January 6th, 2021, my late wife's birthday, I saw the carnage unfold at our nation's capitol and still concerned myself whether I bought the right flavored cupcakes for that night's celebration.

Today, I find myself, and maybe you do too, underestimating the significance of the trial going on in New York City, a fitting locale considering the lying, merkin-sporting, pussy-grabbing abomination grew up and bilked the city for all it was worth with federal housing development subsidies.

This is a former President of the United States of America, the highest and formerly, most prestigious office in the land. On the planet. In the known universe. And he is on trial, not for shaboinking a leading actress in the shaboinking film business, but for buying her silence about said shaboinking, and falsifying the hush money as some type of legitimate "legal expense." 

As one of the many TV pundits pointed out, "If it was all so legal, why did they go to the extent of creating shell LLCs",  lying about it to the press (aboard Air Force One), and get out in front of all this when Michael Avenetti was on TV every night, shouting with a bullhorn, about the alleged shaboinking, my new favorite word.

It is all so SORDID.

And LOW RENT.

And SINGULAR in its TRUMPIAN fashion.

Sadly, however, I fear the result is also so predictable. 

Not because he is innocent, we all know he shaboinked her. We all know she slapped him on the butt with a Forbes magazine. And told her how much she reminded him of his daughter -- disgusting pedophile. 

And not because he has a crack legal team, the best that his dwindling money can buy.

He's going to get off scott-free and take a thousand victory laps and gloat until he can gloat no more because it only takes one juror to acquit. 

Just one. 

I've been Jury Foreman twice in my life, once on a criminal case and once for civil. I have sat with 24 perfect strangers for longer than I care to recall. And I can tell you first hand, the reality you and I see on a minute to minute to basis is not the reality experienced by some folks, who need an owner's manual to remember to breathe in and breathe out.

There are some extremely dumb ass people out there. And all it takes is one man or woman, pining for a lifetime membership at Mara Lago and unlimited flying time aboard Trump Force One, to let this NYC Pizza Rat of a Man return to his scurrilous ways.

Mark my word.




No comments: