Thursday, April 25, 2024

Meet Moris


I know this is completely off-brand for an old, curmudgeonly veteran of the ad industry, who has spent more years arguing and bickering with planners, strategists (sometimes to the point of tears, theirs not mine) and even agency CEOs, but I have a soft spot for kids (anyone under the age of 50) who are trying to make it in business.

Or even get into this crazy business of communications, be it advertising, public relations, content creation, or whatever AI has in store for all of us. 

Sadly, my two daughters followed in my size 11 EEE footsteps and are now successfully plying their trade at MAL (Media Arts Lab) and at Cartel Editing in NYC. Both girls adamantly refused any help from me. Leaving me high and dry with my 10,000 LinkedIn connections, in my desire to help some up-and-comer.

That is until Ms. Muse told me the story of Moris Joaquin Hernandez, her Student Communications Assistant for the past 11 months, at the Pullias Center at USC. 

In May, Moris will graduate from USC with a BA in Communications and a minor in Marketing. Unlike my daughters, and indeed unlike many of you, he doesn't have any familial contacts in the business who can steer him one way or another. 

He is the child of immigrants and the first in his family to even contemplate the notion of college. Much less graduating from one of the finest and most expensive private universities in the country. 

I mention the monetary aspect only because I have an even softer heart for kids, who like myself, scrimped, saved, worked, and worked some more, just enough to keep the college bursar's office at bay. 

Here's the difference. 

I did it because my father, who could've footed the bill and made it easier for me, chose not to. Moris did it because he had no choice. Just a trunkful of grit. Determination. And ambition. 

That's a story that flies in the ugly face of the xenophobic narratives pushed by many these days. And it's a story that is waiting for the next chapter to be written.

About a year ago, I was booted off LinkedIn for some poorly worded political punditry. I wrote a letter to the CEO and persuaded them to let me back on the platform. Explaining that since I am longer needed, nor wanted, in the once-hallowed halls of advertising, I make myself useful by helping others by putting them together with opportunities. 

That was not an empty claim. 

This is something I do in order to pay forward the generosity of those who helped me when, not only was I completely clueless, I was shopping around a portfolio that is, was, embarrassing, at best. that includes Dave Butler, Mel Newhoff, Hy Yablonka and Bob Kuperman, who steered me into the Nissan Regional Group and a rare shot at the big leagues.

I've exchanged some back and forth emails with Moris. He's a smart young man willing to work hard at whatever entry-level job he's offered. Having got my humble start in the mailroom, I've walked in his shoes. And now I'd like to help him get one of those shoes in the door. 

I'm convinced Moris, a sports enthusaist and his talents with Adobe Suite and his digital prowess, will be a great asset to anyone willing to give him a shot. Why? Because he wants it more.

Perhaps that anyone is you. Or someone you know. Let's put this LinkedIn thing to work. And get Moris employed. Ideally in Los Angeles. Or in Texas, where his family resides.

I'm attaching his resume for your perusal. Ms. Muse and I thank you in advance. 

We know you'll be thanking us later.







No comments: