Wednesday, October 26, 2022

When creativity mattered


Came across an homage to this campaign last week on Linkedin.com. 

I don't recall when the campaign ran on TV (remember that?) But I suspect many of my younger colleagues are unaware of this amazing body of work (more on that later).

Moreover, unlike the previous generation of ad practitioners, I don't believe the current crop of adlike object makers (ADLOB) are students of the past. And if they are, it's all digital centric.

"Remember that guy who came up with the CTA, Learn More?

"That was great, but what about Hurry, While It Lasts?"

"Call me old school, but I prefer the clean, minimalist muscularity of  Click Here."

I don't know why this campaign -- and don't get me started on the weird abuse of that word in these dreary days of advertising -- fell by the wayside. But I do know it's indicative of the fall of our industry.

Where is Dos Equis today? 

Does anyone recall their advertising in the last 5 years? 

10 years?  

I can tell you I was huge fan of these spots when they ran, mostly during sporting events. And found myself rewinding the DVR just to catch the brilliance of the written lines. Not only were they well-crafted, they were economic in their brevity. And they were fired, like a machine gun, one after another after another. I imagine the writer's room (for lack of a better phrase) was a gagfest that would rival anything in Sid Caesar's day -- again, you kids can start Googling.

There's no way to confirm this, but I suspect the culprit and the executioner of this Most Interesting campaign, came from inside the house. Meaning, it was the client. Suffering, as many of today's clients do, from lack of vision and short attention syndrome. 

And then there's the careerism. 

A new marketing manager enters the fray. He or she wants to make their mark, at the expense of the hard brand building that came before them. And boneheadedly puts his or her foot down. In this case, on the carotid artery of the industry's most fascinating-- and oldest -- spokesperson.

"Bring me a new campaign. I'm only going to be here 18 months (industry average) and I need a case study as a stepping stone to propel me to the next level. I'll be in the Hamptons this weekend, but let's see some new work by Monday morning. Chop, chop."

My intermitent-fasting stomach is already churning. 

But before I go, I invite you to enjoy this amazing body of work. And extend my kudos to the talented folk who once ruled the roost of the ad world.

Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guMrgRKKENI

Look, for my favorite 15 second spot on Rollerblading.


3 comments:

Write Josh said...

your guess as to why the campaign ended is spot on, rich. I knew someone who worked on the account, and apparently the new marketing person wanted the brand to represent a younger audience. yeah, i know. don't get me started.

Anonymous said...

https://musebycl.io/tagline/tagline-podcast-how-dos-equis-created-most-interesting-man-world

Cousin David Esrati said...

The Tagline podcast about this campaign is priceless. Well worth a listen.
Dos Equis screwed the pooch when sending the most interesting man in the world to mars.
Imagine Nike cancelling "just do it"- and replacing it? With what?
Exactly.