Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Lesson learned


Ever have a name just pop into your head with no rhyme or reason? 

Of course you have otherwise -- like a good lawyer -- I wouldn't have asked the question.

It happened to me last week while contemplating my current position as the Old Guy in the PayPal Honey Creative Department. Truth is, I've got at least 20 years on my nearest colleague. Maybe even 25? 

"I remember walking to work through 10 miles of snow. And when and if we got there we had to lay type down with razor blades and rubyliths. And cut commercials on a Chem Machine. Oh you kids have it so easy." 

Fuzzy, delusional memories notwithstanding there was a time when I was asked to give an old timer a shot at this advertising thing. I believe he had some experience in the field. But was more widely regarded as one of Hollywood's top sitcom guys and cut his teeth on MASH. 

Does anybody remember MASH? 

Yeah, probably not.

Having grown up on that show, which enjoyed wide acclaim from critics and my parents (a tough crowd), I had great respect for this man (whose name I shall not reveal, despite the fact that he recently passed away.) 

Now that I am in his shoes, an older guy from the legacy media world working in a younger digital world with so many media tchotsckes, I wish I had handled the situation differently. I certainly see it differently as the altakocker being pushed further and further into non-relevance. 

I wish I had been more patient.

I wish I had taken the time to guide him and ease the transition.

I wish I had found a way to channel his proven wit and wisdom, earned on the toughest of writing battlefields, and made it work in advertising.

Note to 64 year old self: stop being so pigheaded.




No comments: