Tuesday, October 4, 2022

A word (or 500) on DEI


Today I am going to walk on eggshells and, unlike many other days, choose my words extra carefully. Because as the image would indicate, I'm talking about DEI -- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.

It's important to be particularly thoughtful when discussing these topics. 

Some others, I won't name names so as not to bring additional eyeballs to his repugnant posts, see this precaution as an unnecessary evil. This former colleague would prefer to live in Bro-Land, where the mighty, white Christian American male is free to insult and denigrate others. 

As the father of two grown daughters making their way in the corporate world, I'm happy that time and space is coming to a close. And it can't happen fast enough. I have learned quite a bit from my daughters  about the male patriarchy and the insidious ways it self generates. 

Oddly enough, I've also felt the sting of the non-DEI era. 

At the height of my career I was once yanked from a presentation because my pitching and presentation skills were deemed, "too NY deli."  If I had my wits about me, I would have contacted a good lawyer, or even a mediocre one, and proceeded to lay my hands on some of that sweet, sweet ill-gotten holding company profits.

Similarly, I've been privy to conversations that were racially insensitive, to say the least. And misogyinistic, in a way that would set off the whole trunkful of fireworks had my daughters been within earshot.

And so, yes, I'm in favor of DEI. 

Apologies to Apocalypse Now, "with extreme prejudice."

This morning, when I get on my first Zoom call, there's a good chance that in addition to being the only white male, especially one over 60 years, I will be looking at a grid of women (many), people of color and people with various gender and sexual orientations. 

If we go back thirty years, I dare say the optics would be different. 

Very different.

If you were to go back to the time of my birth, you'd find no representation from our better half. And water fountains clearly marked for White and Black.

And so no, I don't find the swinging of the pendulum upsetting or malignant in the least. And frankly can't believe the ignorance it takes to double down on stupid, and take such a vocal stand against DEI.

This is not to say the Wokeness Police can be a little overbearing. They can. 

Not long ago, I suggested a CTA (Call to Action) that simply said "Duuuuuuude." That's about as innocuous as one can be. And certainly less offensive as my other alternative, "Smash That Fucking Button."

However, someone much younger than me and more in touch with today's zeitgeist said it was a red flag, so I changed it to "Learn More." 

It's only taken me 64 years, but I'm learning you have to pick your battles. 

You win, duuuuuuude.




No comments: