Monday, May 3, 2021

Good Morning Pittsburgh


Because of my less than storied career in advertising, I've had the opportunity to step foot in almost every major city in North America: Boston, Chicago, Miami, Austin, New Orleans, San Francisco, Atlanta, 2 Portlands and even Boise.

In all my 44 years however, I never had the pleasure of Pittsburgh, PA. 

That changed last week, when my wife and I visited for a 4 day jaunt. 

Now when somebody says, "you have to go out to Pittsburgh", one doesn't typically jump for joy. Or perhaps that's just my jaded coastal elitism raising its ugly head.

But I'm here to tell you, I loved the place. First of all it's in western Pennsylvania, some of the most beautiful land on god's green earth. On this early spring trip it was particularly lush and verdant. Having grown up in upstate NY, I miss the forests, and the hills, and the lakes. 

During my misspent youth there were many days when my buddies and I would head up to Sebago or Greenwood Lake, rent a rowboat, pack a cooler of beer and laugh out loud until the beavers started complaining.

Pittsburgh is also just the right size. 

Big enough to be considered a major city, small enough to feel a distinct uncity-like civility. Unlike LAX, the airport was clean, quiet and uncrowded. The freeways, or turnpikes, were similarly sparsely populated. I don't think I tapped the brakes once on the 20 minute drive to the hotel.

And the people, at least the ones near the University of Pittsburgh, where we were situated couldn't have been nicer. Sort of a cross between Mid-western aw shucks and east coast streetwise. 

It was also the first time in more than a year that my wife and I, both double vaccinated, had the opportunity to enjoy a meal in a restaurant.


If you look between the railings on the left, you can spot the owner, old man Girasole. He even paid us a personal visit, while holding a huge goblet of red wine.

"Paisan?"

"Excuse me."

"Paisan?...are you Italian?"

"Ah, no. Jewish."

"Ahhh, that's good too."

If the world works its wonders and karma does the right thing, we will be returning to Pittsburgh very soon.





No comments: