Monday, May 17, 2021

Doctor, doctor, give me the news


I don't understand Republicans. Seriously, they must be the healthiest, disease-free, care-free, preternaturally-fittest people on the planet.

During the pandemic, I'm sorry, they prefer Plandemic, they eschewed the wearing of protective masks.

"Masks, feh."

"Masks are nothing more than political theater."

"Masks are gay."

Now they are taking a pass on the vaccine, the same vaccines, it should be noted, that were pimped by their favorite Insurrectionsist...er, President.

"Vaccines, feh."

"Vaccines are nothing more than political theater."

"Vaccines are gay."

If I didn't know better I'd they were immortal, surprisingly not unlike vampires. I know their idiotic policies like Trickle Down Economics, American Nativism, and White Supremacy refuse to die. And I suspect most Republicans will trot out the Big Lie about a "stolen" election for the next 1000 years. 

These deductions regarding Republican super human health stem from one key observation: Republicans have never come in contact with or ever had to utilize the American Healthcare System. For if they did they would surely abandon ship.

I can say with absolute certainty, and the possible exception of "doctoring" in far-off places like the jungles in Laos or the failed state of Somalia, that America, the richest country on the planet also has the shittiest healthcare system in the universe.

It should be noted that for years, healthcare chores in the Siegel household fell on my wife's broad and capable shoulders. I took care of everything else, utilities, insurance, taxes, etc, but had no space in my brain for the complexities of doctor bills, deductibles, HSAs, etc. 

But now, that I am back in the full time employed world and have generous benefits through PayPal -- perhaps the most employee-focused companies I've ever worked for -- I am now in a pitched battle with the stack of healthcare bills that grow exponentially on my kitchen counter.

As I look at the bills and my responsibility to cover deductibles from OSCAR, our previous insurer, and UHC, our current insurer, as well as out-of-pocket expenses that must be covered before the 100% coverage kicks in, I can feel the synapses in my lower cortex shorting out, as if I were watching a Christopher Nolan movie.

It is a Gordian knot of numbers, processes and medical terminology that would baffle Einstein. 

Or one of those savant kids I see on Youtube that can undo a Rubik's cube with their tongue. There are times when I literally want to sell my house, put the profits in a big pile of cash and invite the accounts payable folks from the UCLA Medical Center to come over and just take what they need.

But even more confusing than all that, even more mindumbing to point that I want to scream from the rooftop of my overpriced home, is the fact for half this country, that's just the way they want it. 

USA....USA....USA


No comments: