Wednesday, April 22, 2020

PS, I love you.


It's been an unusually tough month. For the Siegels and for the rest of the country.

We have done our due diligence and stayed at home religiously for the past 6 weeks. We limit our grocery shopping. We allow no visitors into the house. And we knock out jigsaw puzzles by the dozens.

I'm good at finding the edge pieces, then I quit.

But on Sunday, we decided the cabin fever had reached a boiling point. So we got up early, packed our own homemade lunches and beverages. Laid out a bedsheet in the back of the SUV for our dog Lucy. And set sail for my uncle's rental house in Palm Springs.

The place is completely unfurnished. But the backyard has a heated pool, plenty of warm desert sunshine and the peace and quite that make Palm Springs a beautiful destination spot.

Did I mention the house is still available?

The drive was uneventful. In fact because LA traffic is now more like Boise traffic, we made it there in record time, one hour and 45 minutes. And that was with the unplanned stop to remove Lucy's breakfast, which she hurled all over the back of the vehicle. I might have the only dog on the planet that doesn't enjoy riding in the car or going in the water.

Nevertheless, the one day excursion was completely worth it.

While the ladies lounged and laughed by the pool, I patrolled the property picking up dozens of fallen palm frongs.

I also fell asleep on the hammock that was swayed by the high desert winds.

In all, it was a beautiful perfect day. Just what the doctored ordered.

Though we sorely need the income from the house, part of me wishes the renters would stay away, at least until after the quarantine.

At least then we'll have something to do on the weekends.






No comments: