Thursday, April 9, 2020

CV to the rescue

It has been said the wheels of government turn slowly. I didn't realize how slowly until my phone rang this afternoon after my midday bench pressing routine.

The call came from Jessica Greenbaum. And as I didn't recognize the name, I was tempted to hang up thinking she was trying to sell me on some newfangled HVAC cleaning service.

Turns out, she's an assistant to my congresswoman Karen Bass.

And she wanted to talk to me about my idea for a tiered Senior Assistance program for all veterans over the age of 70. Some of you might recall I started a serious letter writing campaign in December to get our representatives to reconsider much needed financial aid for veterans, including my uncle, who served in the Army Reserves and was a Rifle Marksman.

Currently the VA only offers assistance to vets who served in specific combat periods. That leaves thousands of people like my uncle (non combat vets) struggling to pay for the astronomically expensive assisted living.


Was I surprised to get a phone call from my Congresswoman? Damn, straight I was.

But what she had to say next was even more surprising. She said Ms. Bass was scheduling talks with friends on the veterans affairs committee to bring up this very issue. And was surprised to hear that nothing like this existed.

Furthermore, she intimated that there was a possibility they would include a proposal, similar to mine, on the next Coronavirus stimuli package!!!

Think about that.

Reducing the financial obligation of seniors in assisted living, seniors who are often dependent of family members to help foot the exorbitant cost. That's money that goes right into the pockets of veterans and veteran's families, as opposed to the millions given to corporations who simply used it to buy back stock, this is money that will go straight back into the economy and the small businesses that supply and work with the nursing homes.

This shit is NOT that complicated when you have the interest of people in mind.

Naturally, as a grizzled old ad veteran, I had to ask one more question. If this goes through can you put my name or my uncle's name on the bill?

"We'll be in touch, Mr. Siegel."



No comments: