Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Down in front.


I know this doesn't sound newsworthy, but I went to the movies recently.

The movie was inconsequential (later, on that), the going to the theater however is the lede. In fact this morning I cracked open a NY Times article stating that people are returning to the theaters. Sadly, however they have not brought their manners with them.

At a recent screening of Barbie, one Ken enthusiast (Kenthusiast?) decided he would pare down to his skivvies and screech every time Ryan Gossling appeared on screen. At one point he apologized to the audience, but then proceeded with his personal and boisterous cinematic love affair with his love doll.

Editorial aside #1, I have not seen Barbie, nor intend to, but if you're interested in Ryan Gossling and inanimate toys, I recommend Lars and the Real Girl, directed by Craig Gillespie, a commercial director I always wanted to work with. But didn't.

It's good that people are heeding Nicole Kidman's awkward and overplayed advice. It's not good that they can't keep their clothes on. Or shut the fuck up so other people can enjoy the "magic."

This lack of civility, my previous bon mot notwithstanding, is, as the NY Times noted, omnipresent. It's not just people talking on their cellphones during yet another Indiana Jones chase involving Nazis. Last week, Cardi B/Nicki Minaj (I'm convinced they're one in the same person) hurled her wireless microphone at a fan who tossed a drink at her during her performance.

People don't hold doors for each other anymore.

Waiters don't smile anymore.

Yesterday I was at a four way stop and yielded, unnecessarily so, to an attractive young mom in her slick new crossover vehicle and she didn't give me the Thank You Wave.

Are we not doing the Thank You Wave, anymore? I didn't get the memo.

If you've been on an airplane recently, I was on many, you have no doubt witnessed the rising rudeness upfront and personal. 

"Hey, Mr. 6'3" Backpack-Wearing, Aisle-Hogging Clown previously seated in Row 39, we just reached the gate, there are 183 passengers in front of you, they haven't even chocked the tires, where do you think you're going?"

Editorial aside #2, if you haven't seen or heard the American Airlines pilot and his commanding preflight speech that addresses so much in so little time, I invite you to spent one minute and 35 seconds here.

Where does all this incivility stem from? 

The objective reporter from the NY Times offered many possible causes including the pandemic, the ongoing culture war, social media and the fraying of our social fabric. I suffer from no corporate-imposed objectivity and know for a fact that it all stems from one orange-tainted semi-billionaire who is currently indicted and facing more than 80 charges for the inestimable damage he has wrought on this nation. 

More on that tomorrow.

As promised, my take on Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny -- Meh. 

Too many chases. Too many contrived last second rescues. Too many scenes that felt like repeats of the previous Indiana Jones cash grabs. Maybe I'm spoiled. The first installment was moviemaking at its finest. An experience unlike any other. They should have left well enough alone.

In short I'm vehemently against sequels. 

Unless some ambitious studio wanted to make Stay Tuned II.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi from Canada. Sorry you’re discomfited.