Monday, December 12, 2022

Whiskey and celebrities


I don't often go out hobnobbing with stars from Saturday Night Live, but when I do it's with the talented Kevin Nealon. And with my Kevin Nealon-adjacent friend, Jeff Gelberg, who writes a very funny blog of his own.

Jeff and Kevin are good friends. So when I was invited to go see Mr. Nealon’s art gallery opening in Brentwood I decided why not? Keep in mind I am almost completely illiterate in the world of art. I am to art gallery openings as Red Hats are to discussions about complex international geo-politics.

Nevertheless the gallery was situated across the courtyard from Maria's Italian Kitchen in Brentwood, makers of some of the most New York-ish Pizza this side of the Mississippi River.

As Kevin and Jeff were reminiscing, I took a gander at some of the insanely great artwork. Surreal cartoonlike renderings of many top celebrities, including Christopher Walken, Jennifer Aniston and Billy Eilish. That's when I stumbled into Ruthie, a very attractive Aussie woman who was photographing Kevin's latest book next to a bottle of some artisanal Kentucky Bourbon.


I'm more of a Rye Whiskey guy but never averse to bourbon, so when Ruthie offered to pour me a sip I was happy to oblige. Particularly when she told me this specially-crafted spirit was 120 proof. I'm no stranger to high octane whiskey and recall receiving a bottle of Noah's Mill for my birthday.

I was mentally preparing my throat for that lava-like burn, but was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the Lucky Seven went down. Moreover, the Lucky Seven bourbon had a distinctive taste, not sweet, not spicy, but enough of both to make it that much more satisfying. I'm not one of those tasting connoisseurs who can blather on about finishes, hints and expressions. I'm a simple Bulleit Rye guy who should probably get out more often.

Had I not the 7.7 mile drive (an odd coincidence) home to Culver City I would have gone for two fingers instead of one. 

It was getting near closing time at the gallery and Ruthie insisted I take the bottle with me. I guess I'm more charming than I give myself credit for. In return I told her I would write a review of her boyfriend's whiskey endeavor on my blog. 

I didn't tell her that despite going on my 14th year and more than 3000 blog entries, I've only managed to secure 8, possibly 9, loyal readers. But I guess if she or her boyfriend are reading this, they know now.

All in all, a pretty, pretty good night.

Thanks MarĂ­a.
Thanks Ruthie.
Thanks Kevin. 
And thanks Jeff.



No comments: