Wednesday, December 28, 2022

On Old Man Strength


My friend, fellow blogger and man of my age, George Tannenbaum, has often referred to a phenomena called "Old Man Strength."

You younger readers might be a little skeptical, given your lithe muscles, youthful appearance and wild consumption of chemically-laden energy drinks brewed with Taurine, extracted from bull testes, but I believe George is onto something.

Old Man Strength is real.

It's derived from decades of shouldering life's great weights: responsibility, provision and protection. 

I cannot do these justice, but Denzel Washington, in the movie version of Fences can. 


Overly dramatic? Perhaps. But not far off the mark. 

I heard this monologue in some form or fashion many times over. My own father could not string words together like this, but the intent and the force with which it was delivered was unmistakably similar. Particularly, if he had filled his coffee cup with some daytime Dewar's. And ran out of Camel filterless ciggies.

And it is only now, in my own sunset...er, golden...er, prime (yeah, that's it) years, that I can appreciate the sentiment. 

Mind you, I have daughters and would never talk to them in this manner. Perhaps it's a blessing I never had sons. But, if asked, I'm sure they recognize the posturing. 

Sorry, but being a dad is hard.

Old Man Strength also manifests itself physically. You won't catch me posting pictures of myself in a Speedo, but I am currently down to 182 lbs. A benchmark I hadn't hit in close to 40 years. Additionally, since switching off red meat and consuming a grizzly bear's yearly portion of salmon every seven days, I am also stronger than I have ever been.

In addition to cycling more than 200 miles a week (Peloton & Road), I lift weights. And have recently launched 245 lbs. off the bench. I know I could do more, but I'm in my garage, without a spotter, and don't relish the idea of getting permanently pinned down to the rack until my daughters come over to wash their laundry.

I say all this not to boast. Ok, it's a little about boasting. 

But it's more about pursuing strength as a worthy attribute. And forging a newer me. I like being strong. And I like getting stronger, physically, mentally, and spiritually. 

Strong is a whole lot better than weak. I know, I've been there.




3 comments:

george tannenbaum said...

Wow. Great post.
And great Denzel.

Unknown said...

This was a great post Rich.

Anonymous said...

I’m liking the photoshop of Biden. New skill set?