Tuesday, October 6, 2020

I coulda been a contender


As my fellow bloggers will attest, particularly those who maintain a rigorous daily schedule, there are times when we find ourselves staring at a blank MicroSoft Document page and have not the slightest clue what to write about.

Other times, topics fly in from the ether, completely out of the once-blue sky, seemingly, almost heavenly sent to the rescue.

This is of the latter nature.

Last week, I opened my Facebook Messenger app. I rarely do that and only answer texts that pop up on my Facebook page. But this time I'm glad I did. 

I received a heartfelt and hilarious text from a guy I went to high school with about 183 years ago. OK, that number is hyperbolic but the sentiment is not. This was a guy I hardly spoke three words with while I was in high school. 

And not a word since the graduation (I can only assume he graduated.) 

Here it is in its entirety.

Wow, I thought, my words -- and I don't know which ones -- have moved this "man" to action and compelled him to break a many decades long silence just to send me this eloquent and grammar-mauling expression of his thoughts. 

How nice.

It would have been nicer had he not done so in chickenshit fashion via Facebook Messenger and then spinelessly fled the scene robbing me of an opportunity to respond. I can only hope that someone from my hometown will relay this message back to Chris, notice how I thoughtfully blocked out his name. 

That's me taking the high road.


"Hey Chris, just wanted to thank you for reaching out. So good to hear from you after all these years. I'd love to reconnect but since you blocked me on Facebook, that's not possible. Would love to hear what you're (note the proper usage) doing. Or not doing. 

In any case, I wanted to thank you. It's not often one gets described as Monumental. I can't imagine what I've done to merit such praise. I'm flattered.

Your random one line colorful communique simply made my day. Though incredibly brief and lacking in all punctuation, your message magically managed to tell me so much about you. And so much of the wonderful achievements you've accomplished in life since the halcyon days of high school. 

I feel like I already know you my friend. Kudos. Your command of the language and lyrical economy of words make me believe you should consider a career in writing."




No comments: