Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Eat Your Greens



My fourth book is coming out.

Truth be told, it's not my book. I'm simply a contributor.

The book was written by Wiemer Snijders (I have to check the spelling every time I write that) on behalf of The Account Planning Group -- a worldwide organization of planners and strategists based in the UK.

As you might imagine -- if you're even partially familiar with this blog -- my face must be adorning every urinal cake at their London offices. Over the years I've been pretty damn clear about my disdain  for power hungry planners and overthinking strategerists.

Nevertheless, I got an email from Wiemer about a year ago and he wanted to include some essays I had written here, for his book.

Wiemer: Rich, we'd love to include some of your funny pieces in the book.

Me: Are you sure you have the right Rich Siegel?

Wiemer: The 44 year old guy with the big ugly mustache?

I'm a sucker for brutal German honesty.
And so I sent him a few articles.
He chose two for the book.

I was recently sent an entire manuscript, which I have not had time to read (though now that I have been booted from Facebook, time should no longer be an issue.)

I also did a quick scan of the other esteemed contributors, which includes my friend Bob Hoffman, the AdContrarian.

Still not sure how a bloviating, wiseass copywriter like myself got mixed in with a bunch of really knowledgable, highly credentialed people with a lot of capital letters after their names.

I was also invited to attend the launch of the book at the Anne Bernstein Theater in New York. I politely declined. Not only because the funds needed to travel to NYC have been earmarked for my last payment to the University of Colorado Bursar's Office for the last payment of my daughter's tuition.

But also for the sneaky suspicion that if I did show up, some zealous planner or axe-grinding strategist might cold cock me while ordering a frosty Stella Artois.




No comments: