Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Uranus for $1000, Ken


Did you know Uranus is the coldest planet in our solar system? The climate there is allegedly colder than that of Syracuse , NY, famous for its double digit below zero temperatures and lake effect snow that can leave mountainous drifts of snow. 

Fun fact: those drifts, if caught in their earliest just-fallen stages before turning dirty and crusty, are no match for a 1966 Dodge Coronet 400 with 318 horsepower V-8 driven by an angry Denny's line cook. 

So I'm told.

Fun fact about Uranus, and really can we know too much about Uranus, I don't think so, it has rings, like Saturn. Until I took this deep dive into the dark void that is outer space, I had no idea. 

The rings were discovered in 1977, during my lifetime. Proving that scientists, especially the juvenile ones, are still probing Uranus. They are made up of dark rocks (I could've guessed that) and ice and measure between 2km and 100 km wide. Interestingly enough, the rings are held in place by the gravitational pull by its 28 moons. 

You can't have Uranus without many moons.

Ok, maybe that line didn't work. But that's not going to stop me. Or many like me who have the maturity of a 14 year old.


Two weeks ago, I was notified by Indeed of a job opening. I have zero interest in going back to work, yet the algorithm thinks differently and keeps sending me job listings. This particular opportunity was interesting. The folks from the Jeopardy studio, which used to be 1/4 mile from my former house in Culver City, were looking for a writer.

Ms. Muse mused that I should still apply, given my lifelong vicarious participation in the show. And my uncanny ability to guess Final Jeopardy correctly more often than not. "Rachmaninoff"? Where did I pull that one out of?

The commute from Pasadena does make this opportunity prohibitive. Which is sad because I'm sure I would enjoy the camaraderie of other mischievous writers who will stop at no length to jam Uranus into the episode. Like last night.

And that was not the first time Uranus made its debut on national prime time television.

Because I'm thorough and because my curiosity knows no bounds, I did some more "research":


Seems the folks even more interested in Uranus than scientists...are the writers.


No comments: