Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Mazel Tov, Carol

                                    


 "Oh no, is Rich pimping his old ABC work again? Give it a rest it's 30 years old, get a life old man."

I would understand this sentiment from the cynical doomscroller who just happened to glance at the visual. But upon further examination you will see that this billboard is not from ABC but from one of the streaming services who have all but vanquished broadcast network TV.

When this popped up last week to congratulate Rhea Seehorn for her Emmy in the amazing show PLURIBUS (that I love) I had several people send me this photo. Including my two daughters, who were infants at the time of the TV is Good campaign and who have never shown any interest in any of my work. Or even this blog.

The outrage was palpable. At least to others, not to me. 

Yes, the art direction, the simplicity and the "feel" is very similar to our campaign which debuted in 1997. But I don't think there's any plagiarism involved. I chalk it up to coincidence. Think about it. The people responsible for this -- either at Apple TV or at Vince Gilligan's production company -- probably weren't born yet.

Also, it's not the first time the similarity has appeared.



The other thing is, neither John Shirley (my art director partner) nor I, own yellow background and black type. It's an attention grabbing combination that has been used in advertising since there was advertising.

If there was any "borrowing" I, and I assume John, are flattered. And will gracefully accept the "imitation" as an homage. 

On a more macro scale, the use of outdoor billboard advertising (my favorite medium) is a testament to the once awesome power of mass communication. As opposed to micro communication and the frivolous, wasteful and forgetful crap that crawls across our multitude of screens with all the impact of a single snowflake landing on a snowman.

Also, and this is the bigger point, who cares?

Fuck Donald Trump!