Wednesday, March 29, 2023

The grass is greener


 

Haven't done this in a while, but today I'm posting about a TV commercial I saw. And have been seeing with greater regularity during the March Madness quadruple broadcasting on CBS, TBS, TNT and whatever the other one is (I forgot.)

Preface: I'm going to try to make this feel new and refreshing and entertaining. And I'm doing that for one disgruntled critic who recently called me out on social media with the following.

You were relevant locally in LA like two decades ago for a campaign CBS or NBC could have just as easily slapped their logo on and called it a day. Now go back into your tiny bubble. The problem isn't that you're old, it's that your work, along with website, are incredibly dated looking. And acting woke as a strategy to somehow buffer against ageism clearly isn't working for you. Your blog rants used to be original, thoughtful, entertaining and funny. Now they're just sad because they're beyond expected and boring.

All of which, I find amusing, if not confusing; don't know how I'm using "woke as a strategy against ageism. To me, woke is about being a decent human being. 

I also find it satisfying. 

And oddly relevant. 

While cleaning out my garage, I found an outline for a speech I gave years ago to some students. And one of the points I made was to "Be polarizing." The stated goal at Chrysler Design was to come up with ideas that 60% of consumers will love and 40% will hate. That's when you know you will stumbled upon something good. I'm glad this nationally/internationally known copywriter (That's how he refers to himself) hates me and my work. 

Back to the spot at hand. Which I suspect will leave 60% of you smiling and another 40% scratching their chin, going "Huh?"

You can watch Scott for Scott's, here.

Naturally, being of Scottish descent, I love the idea of a spokesperson from the Motherland. And his name is Scott. For Scotts Turf Builder. Did I mention he's from Scotland? That's a lot of memorable branding there.

I also love that the character is so campy. And over the top. That one could get so excited about killing crabgrass is quite delicious. My father hated crabgrass with an equal passion, so I again, I may be biased.

I'm also a bit jealous. I've always wanted to do a spokesperson campaign. 

Maybe that's the lazy copywriter in me, but a spokesperson is the ideal vehicle for delivering mandatory copy points. And it gives the viewing audience a focal point, that seems lacking in much of the "storytelling" work I see out there.

Without even realizing it, I now know that Scotts Turf Builder kills weeds, prevents future weeds and feeds new grass seedlings. All because it's delivered in that pleasing Scottish lilt. If I had my druthers, I also would have put American English subtitles on the spot. But that's just me.

If I had other druthers, I would have had my gardener use Scotts. Instead he just dumped a ton and a half of horse manure all over the front yard, which had become increasingly brown. Now my lawn and my house smell like shit. And still do.

Anyway, well done Scotts. I give this spot Two Green Thumbs Up.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ironically, I think this campaign is a (very good) update to work we did for Scott’s about 10 years ago. Originally, I thought it was way too broad and obvious. But, hey, man, it’s lawn food. The line, “Feed your lawn. FEED IT.” Was definitely ours. But the assets belong to the brand, and I think the contrast to the homeowner who has no clue is a perfect added dimension. As for your critic: who describes himself that way? Even if it’s true? Yuck. Anyway, best.