Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Written in the key of Sad


Don't know how many of you watched The Leftovers when it premiered on HBO in 2017, but if you have one of the dozen streaming services, and I still can't get them all straight in my mind, you can find the three season show, which I admit haunted me when I watched it then. 

And tears me from the inside out now.

Without any spoilers, the show is about The Great Departure, a day when 140 million people simply vanished from the face of the Earth. We never know if they died, if they were raptured, or even if they ran away. We only know they're gone and seemingly not bent on returning.

And now I find myself in the same shoes of those who were left behind. Trying to make sense of it all. Trying to cope with unimaginable loss. Trying to make my way in a world that is considerably less bright. A world where you'll find a box of Puffs With Lotion Tissue in every nook and cranny of my house.

If you do decide to watch the show or if you have Spotify, you can find one of the major characters of the show -- the Music. It is as organic to the Leftovers as the unmistakable and iconic soundtrack of The Godfather.

Years ago, when I first started working on TV commercials I was thrown into the lion's den and given the responsibility of selecting the right music track for the spots we had written. I love music but had no idea how to match it up with video. It's all about tone, rhythm, tempo, all words that were greek to me at the time.

Back in those days, before production budgets went from 7 digits to 4 digits, we often scored tracks to the film.

I was able to meet some amazing musicians, including a guitarist who played backup for Yes. And many studio folks who played with major artists. It was exciting. And intimidating. They all spoke a different language. And I couldn't even identify a downbeat. 

I was a clueless as a Cyber Ninja.

I've learned a lot since then and know how crucial the right music can be. And that's what makes the soundtrack by Max Richter all the more impressive. It is so deeply immersive. With soaring strings. And contemplative piano riffs that work their way into your ears. 

It is dreamlike. 

Though upon reflection, I don't think I ever hear music in my dreams. But I do hear my inconsiderate neighbor's barking Malinois. ALL DAY LONG.

Watch the show.

Soak in the music.

Hug the ones you love.



 

No comments: