Thursday, June 2, 2022

POPULATION: 400 million guns


When it comes to politics, I have a tendency to get quite worked up. 

The Democrats frustrate the fuck out of me with their weak decision-making, their refusal to fight fire with flamethrowers and their tendency towards wonkiness. 

I have a clue for you Democratic politicians, people don't get excited about bike paths, blockchain proposals, and land set aside for endangered insects like the rolly-poly. Granted those issues may be important, but they should be discussed behind closed doors or unread newsletters. Because they don't make for good campaign fodder. Not in this populist era of rallies, screaming pundits and over-amped voters.

Republicans, on the other hand, sicken me. They're the party of no solutions, no ideas, and in 2020, no GOP platform. They put up a candidate with NO PLATFORM because they have correctly gauged the shallow nature of the American populace. Give them a free red hat and they'll give you a free ride to the White House. They put party over country every chance they get. 

Last week a reporter confronted Senator Ted Cruz about the horrific school shooting in Texas.

"Senator, isn't it time we enacted some common sense gun laws that would deny a sick 18 year old the right to purchase two assault rifles and enough bullets to wipe out an entire school?"

Teddy's response, "That's the problem with you leftists, you always want to turn these situations into something political."

How is the proliferation of guns and the weekly murder of our schoolchildren NOT political, you hirsute doofus?

Republicans have deflection, hand wringing and whataboutism down to a fine art. 

Cruz, I believe, is a 9th degree Black Belt.

Stirred by the pictures of those parents going through indescribable grief, coupled with my own current grief, I decided to pen another one of my political posts. I posted it on Facebook last week. 

And to the dismay of many, I also put it up on Linkedin, who claim that's not the proper venue. However, as a copywriter who is getting more involved with political advertising and messaging, I have every right to pimp my credentials as motivational blowhards like Gary Vaynerchuck or Grant Cardone.

You can read it here...


The response was fast and overwhelming. With the exception of a few ammosexuals and gun clingers, it was incredibly supportive. And unlike anything I've ever posted on on any social media before, garnered more views than I ever thought imaginable --75,000 and counting. Odd how that incredible number isn't reflected in my Google analytics on web traffic and explains why I don't pay any attention to that crap.

I've gone down the 2nd Amendment rabbit hole and read interpretations from across the spectrum, from Constitutional professors to Cletus the communist-fearing Kentuckian who stills flies the Confederate flag.

So here's my modest proposal, let's enact federal laws requiring all gun sales to pass a universal background check. Hell, you can you ask millions of single women, who do that everyday and run the algorithms before agreeing to meet a guy for coffee or lunch.

Gun purchasers should also be required to obtain a license and purchase insurance. You'd think the insurance companies would be all over this one. And just by way of example, I never considered the requirement to be of a certain age, pass a written test and a driver's test, any kind of "infringement" on my constitutional right. 

In fact, cars, like abortions, or gay marriage, are never even mentioned in the Constitution, so I'd love to hear the legal objections this common sense stipulation.

And finally, I'd like see a line drawn in the sand about the type of guns we make available to the public. What entitles a citizen to own an assault rifle? And spare me the artillery lecture. If you can lock and load a weapon and snuff out the lives of 19 children in a matter of seconds or minutes, you should not have access to that weapon.

Indeed, if it were up to me, and it never is, I'd run mental background checks on every owner of an AR 15. 

PERSON WOMAN MAN HIGH-CALIBER BULLETS TECH-9

3 comments:

Anne Kurtzman said...

I could not agree more. Clean slate, start from scratch. This is becoming untenable and I cannot imagine what catastrophe must occur before we get rid of greedy, ignorant politicians.

Anonymous said...

What exactly are we supposed to be doing with all these thoughts and prayers these Davy Crockett-wanna be’s are sharing with us?

Anonymous said...

Couldn’t agree with you more.
This is a - sadly - perfectly factual argument.
I hope you don’t mind if I share it - giving you full and deserved credit, of course.
I keep saying to people that we have to legislate guns - because we can’t legislate insanity.