Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Woe v Raid


 I remember the first time I ever had to appear in court and testify under oath. 

I was only 14 years old and working as a newspaper delivery boy. Back then every household read the newspaper, it's a pity that doesn't hold true today. And back then 14 year old boys and girls learned the value of hard work and character building. It's a pity that too has gone by the wayside like civility, tolerance for others and free thought.

One snowy afternoon, I had been run off the side of the road by a careless driver. I fractured my wrist and suffered minor nerve damage. At that point my dreams of becoming a concert pianist or brain surgeon went up in smoke.

To settle the medical bills my mother dragged me off to court to get the Rockland Journal News to pay up. With my hand on the bible and while wearing my Bar Mitzvah suit, I nervously promised to tell the truth and nothing but the truth. I was as nervous as a salmon facing a gauntlet of hungry grizzly bears. In the end the newspaper company covered all my medical bills and the judge threw in another $2000 for my college fund.

Which I'm sure I spent on bad weed.

The point is, the taking of the oath used to be a sacred ritual in our courts of law. After last week's tragic overturning of Roe v Wade, it appears that too has vanished from our political repetoire, much like the oath to uphold the Constitution.

In their swearing in ceremonies, each of the GOP SC justices pictured above told the Senate Judiciary Committee that Roe v Wade was the law of the land. That it was settled law. And that they would do nothing to make it otherwise.

They lied.

Judges who sit on the highest court in the land, and indeed the world, lied under oath. And in doing so ignored the will of 70% of this country.

Upset? You're damn right I'm upset. You know who's even more upset? My two grown Jewish daughters in their mid twenties. So much so that my youngest daughter, started a Siegel family fundraiser and gathered close to $2000 for the Texas Choice fund. 

In my religion, the one that preceded Christianity and celebrated freedom and justice for all before the Pilgrims stepped foot on Plymouth Rock, a fetus is not a person until they are born and take their first breath. And so now tenets of a specific religion, not mine mind you, have been institutionalized into US law. It's a damn slippery slope from there.

Where in the Constitution does the State have unspoken powers over bodily sovereignty?

This morning I woke up with a booger in my oversized nose. Do I need permission from Lindsey Graham, Mitch McConnell and their phalanx of lying judges to remove it? 

Maybe I should call Legal Zoom.

No comments: