Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Top Fun


Went to the movies Saturday afternoon with my friend, former colleague and fellow blogger, Jeff Gelberg. 

It was weird sitting in a movie theater as it had been a very long long time. Even before Covid and before cancer, Deb and I had stopped going to theaters and opted for the convenience of streaming services and our big screen TV.

In addition to not having to listen to strangers talk or noisily stuff obscenely priced popcorn into their gaw (thank you George Tannenbaum for reminding me of the beauty of that word) my TV has a pause button. Giving me ample freedom to relieve my chihuahua-sized bladder every fifteen minutes. 

As I joked to Jeff, the last time "I went to the movies", it was to see Jerry Macguire.

Let me just say that if you're going back to the big screen for the first time in a long time, this is the movie to see. 

My palms are still sweaty.

My heart rate is leveling off to cruising altitude.

And I'm just now digging the Lady Gaga song out of my ears. Actually, I don't even remember hearing the Lady Gaga song that Tom Cruise was gushing about. 

And what doesn't Tom gush about?

Nevertheless, you can't argue the man doesn't have movie star charisma. I'm not just saying that because in addition to the remarkable resemblance, we both have ties to Syracuse, NY. He was born there, I went to college there. But Tom Cruise is genuinely talented and it's hard for me to believe he has never won an Oscar for Best Actor. 

His role in the underrated Michael Mann movie Collateral was worthy. As was Born on the Fourth of July.  And even the uneven Eyes Wide Shut. And I'm a big fan of his lesser known gigs, in Tropic Thunder and Magnolia, 

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a skilled movie reviewer. 

It's hard to talk about a movie without giving away the plot or any spoilers. 

But do yourself a favor and take in this big, noisy, fun and surprisingly emotional (in a Hollywood cheesy manner) American blockbuster. Also if you don't want to miss any of the stunning aerial action, don't drink any coffee or Diet Cokes before taking your seats. 

Enjoy.


No comments: