Monday, October 11, 2021

NASA called


Got a strange Linkedin invite the other day. 

This, in and of itself is not that rare. At least three times a day I get Linkedin invites from India/Pakistan/and the Far East. For unknown reasons I seem to have developed a following in Southern Asia. 

I like to think it's because the folks over there have a dry, discerning sense of humor and appreciate my observational wit, unlike the apathetic slobs here in the US. 

But more than likely it's because they think (falsely) that because of my 30 plus years in advertising I might be able to hook them up with a connection that would further their fledgling career. Or perhaps an entre in the wonderful, glamorous and incredibly lucrative world of advertising in America. 

Anyway, this particular linkedin invite came from a closer locale. Pasadena to be specific. It was from the Chief Technology and Innovation Officer at NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Holy shit, I thought.

Finally someone wants to utilize my proven creative background --such as it is - with my unproven, and dormant capability for understanding and using advanced Calculus and higher mathematics. Did I mention I once scored a 660 on the Math SAT?


At first I thought about blocking out Chris's name, but since a simple search of my Linkedin profile would reveal the connection, I figure it's public knowledge. Plus Chris seems like a good sport.

As in all things vocational, I seem to have gotten ahead of myself. I probably won't be commuting on the 405 to to the 10 to the 5 to the 2 to the 134 to get to Pasadena any time soon. So Alec, my boss at Honey, if you're reading this, you can take a deep breath. 

Or sigh in frustration, "we finally got rid of that cranky old man."

Which is a shame, because I had some initial thoughts and hair brain designs for harnessing the power of Mentos & Diet Coke and employing that untapped energy source to get us to Pluto. Also had some interesting concepts, just in rough form, I haven't put together a deck or anything, on Baking Soda and Vinegar.

But all kidding aside, I do wish there were a way to bring the imaginative minds in marketing to bear on other, more meaty issues of the day. 

My friend Ernie Schenck writes about this all the time. Government, industry, and even the Pentagon, could and should tap the shoulders of those being sent home with a cardboard box full of ad awards and a miserable excuse for a severance check. Because we have something to offer.

I've had the pleasure of working with some of the smartest, most colorful thinkers on the planet. And I have to believe they're all a lot better than cranking out crappy banner ads and stupid "brand activations."

No comments: