Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Face the music


Last week, the holding company that "holds" the company I am working for (still under an NDA) announced they would no longer advertise on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

It was a bold move backed by bold thinking and the belief that brands must do their part to right the ship that is currently taking on the dirty water of hatred, racial injustice, and foreign election interference.

I, for one, couldn't be happier.

Like many people, I have a love/hate/despise relationship with the Book of Face.

I love it because it gives me a platform to write and publish my own political opinions, jokes and memes. A platform I would never have had I further pursued my dreams in television or film. I've had literary agents. I've tried to navigate that closed world. I've played that game.

Truth is I had no stomach for "taking lunches", "nurturing relationships" or "managing my brand."

Fuck that.

With Facebook, if I get an idea, in between getting ideas for my job (for which I get paid), I simply comp it up or write it up, press post and watch the people in the Red Hats fume. Some even have the temerity to challenge me, publicly. And when it comes to Captain Ouchie Foot and the demise of the GOP, it is not a battle to which I come unprepared.

On the other hand, I hate Facebook.

In particular, their arbitrary rules governing free thought. I have seen Facebook pages espousing white supremacy, Islamic terrorism and the always popular, virulent antisemitism. These pages thrive and often feel like they are lighting the kindling for actual acts of violence. Yet, I have been cited, many times, by the Facebook police. Indeed, I've been banned on several occasions, and served two 30 day stints in Facebook jail -- once for using the phrase "white trash."

And yet look, here's a fan page for a movie (a must see movie) all about White Trash.


Awkward segue.

The move to abandon Facebook is a welcome one. And it was followed by several other large companies doing the same, including Honda, Birchbox (whatever that is) and Coca Cola.

With the death of George Floyd, the ongoing pandemic, the growing support for Black Lives Matter, the cratering of our economy, the Russian bounties on the heads of American soldiers and the upcoming election, it truly feels like our nation is experiencing an important inflection point.

With any luck, we will emerge on the other side of this, wean ourselves off this social media and no longer have to write banner ads and email blasts.


No comments: