Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Letters, we write letters, lots and lots of letters...


Despite the protestations of colleagues, on the other side of the political aisle, who have suggested I write better headlines than I do of any substantive forms of persuasion, essays, blog postings and short stories, etc., I like to think I write a pretty damn good letter.

I like writing letters. Old girlfriends and HR professionals will tell I can be quite charming in the letter format. An attribute that quickly vanishes with an in person appearance.

I like writing letters because it's a lot like a personal conversation. Only better, because it's one way and I don't have to listen to someone else's drivel. I told you the charm wears off quickly.

People don't write letters any more.

I do.

Back in the day, I had 50+ or so Letters to the Editor, published in the LA Times, NY Times and other rags throughout the country.

When the occasion demanded it, I've written to banks, airlines, and Senators. And more often than not been compensated in response.

I'm a letter-writing Karen. And proud of it. When not one of the 53 GOP Senators met my satisfaction or returned the effort in the form of correspondence, I turned my letter writing into a book, still available on Amazon despite the publisher's mad scramble to keep up with demand.

Last week, some neighbors and friends of mine, who also happen to be colleagues in advertising, made it known they were being shortchanged by a major auto manufacturer. So I did what I thought anyone in my shoes with a penchant for bitching out Fortune 100 companies would do, I offered to step in and write a letter for them.

Not just any letter. I wrote one to the CEO.

I like writing letters to CEOs.

Why? Because I've sat in a room and dealt with so many of them. They don't intimidate me. Oh sure most CEOs are obscenely wealthy and wield their power as if they were potential customers of former AG Mathew Whitaker (seller of the Big Dick toilet), but by and large, not always, I've been unimpressed.

I've also found it unproductive to deal with middle managers, who often can say "No" but are not empowered to say "Yes."

And so I go to the top. Years ago, when the folks at Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae would not let me purchase a condo from my sister-in-law in order to keep her from losing her home, I Fedexed a 2 page letter to the CEO. I also included a DVD of "It's a Wonderful Life" and signed off with the question, "Do you want to be remembered as a modern day Mr. Potter?"

Within a day, the purchase went thru.

I hope the missive I penned for my friends yields the same results. If it doesn't, I'm happy to keep click clacking on my keyboard.

Because as I have mentioned, I like writing letters.

No comments: