Monday, May 4, 2020

The magic of 3's


Pardon the cliche visual, but today, after many dark days, some even darker than others, there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

For one thing, I am booked on a new freelance gig.

One I am very excited about because a significant part of the qualifications for this gig was the ability to weave humor, smart, snappy humor, into the various forms of copy, which will span the entire spectrum of today's modern media.

Not to come off immodest, but I've been told on several occasions, once in 2005, again in 2009 and I believe twice in 2013, that I'm a funny guy. My wife would argue otherwise, but half the time I don't hear a word she says.

So there's that.

Also, after being rejected for a PPP loan by Wells Fargo, where I've been a loyal customer for the past 33 years, I filled out several applications with some non-traditional financial institutions, like Kabbage and PayPal. Much to my surprise the paperwork went through and a significant (always relative) deposit was dropped into my account. And it only took three days.

I'm sure the folks at Ruth Chris Steakhouse, the LA Lakers and various other publicly held companies got their millions of dollars faster. But those folks don't post as many anti-Trump memes as I do. In fact, I don't know anyone who does.

It's not a huge amount of money, but it does ease the sting of the very arid market for freelance copywriters (and art directors) which is currently decimating our industry.

And finally, giving proof to the notion that good things come in threes, I got a check from the small Hollywood agency (which shall remain unnamed) which had been holding onto an invoice since January. Perhaps I've been spoiled, because I've never had to wait more than 45 days to get paid, but I was certain I was going to get screwed on this one.

I pestered the agency brass everyday, since Day 60 for the money I was owed. I was always civil and always professional. That is until last week when I played the blog card and told them I'd be happy to pen a scathing piece about their Trumpian Accounts Payable Behavior.

I also whipped out the website for my cut throat attorneys at Mitchell Silberg & Knupp, one of LA's largest and lethal law firms. I've been doing business with them ever since we sold the screenplay for STAY TUNED way back in 1992. And they always struck me as the type of no-nonsense lawyers who are not accustomed to losing.

All in all, not a bad financial week. Of course just got the credit card bill for all the off-brand groceries we got from InstaCart.

So the money is all but spent.




No comments: