Thursday, May 14, 2020

Smile


I've been officially baptized into the Zoom culture.

For weeks, I must admit, I had been fascinated by this phenomena, which promises to undo the evils of the open floor plan (and good riddance it.) But as an under-employed freelance copywriter I had never had the actual opportunity to participate in it.

That is until I took on this new freelance gig.

Now I'm chrome-dome deep in it. Which must be hard on my new coworkers as I have often said in the past, "I have a face for radio."

Moreover, they have to listen to my nasal-heavy, distant NY accent. I have also always said, "I have a voice for newspaper."

And while I may have harbored reservations about video teleconferencing in the recent past, I must say I rather enjoy working this way.

For one thing, while I am not clicking and clacking at my desk without pants, I am quite comfortable wearing my shorts and flip flops. And even if it's a laundry day I can still slip into my rattiest torn up pair of shorts and still pull off the veneer of a seasoned successful ad executive.

Over and above that, I am at my desk.

I love my desk. And my Herman Miller Chair. And the inch and half thick wooden door on my office that was put there in 1947 when they built the first floor of my house. It's a thick, sturdy, old timey quality 3 panel wooden door.

The kind they just don't make anymore. Replaced, more often than not, by cheap, shabby particle board that cannot stand up to an overly dramatic door slam or the errant angry throwing of a shoe.

And finally, though I haven't worked out the kinks yet, there's the Snap Camera add on feature. This unique extension ties into your web camera and allows you to project your face through certain filters.




By hook or by crook, I'm going to figure out how to make this thing work.

No doubt, many of new co-workers will say it's a marked improvement.




No comments: