Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Time to recharge



If there is one thing I have learned about myself after 44 years on this planet, it's that I am an annoying creature of habit.

Actually, that didn't require much in the way of introspection, as my wife consistently mocks my consistency OCD. Often, with a scowl. And some snarky comment.

I make no apologies.

Because one person's consistency is another's persistence and determination, noble, at least to me, characteristics that have put food on my table and shekels in my bank account.

Take this blog as an example. I started RoundSeventeen more than 11 years ago. And shortly after I began making the posts public I announced that I would put up new material 4 days a week. Minus holidays, vacations and circumstances beyond my control, I have lived up to that self imposed oath.

And 10% of those of those posts are actually worth reading.

Likewise, with my rigorous and disciplined weight training routine. Way back in July I purchased a used set of weights from a very famous Hollywood producer. When I began, I could hardly bench 185 lbs. Last week, on two separate occasions, I put up 245 lbs.

Seen here is a stock photo I grabbed off the interwebs of what 245 lbs looks like on a bar.


That is no small feat for a man of my age and advanced girth. If I had someone to spot me and prevent the bar from falling on my chest, crushing my ribs and sending me to the hospital for some sweet, sweet morphine, I suspect I could go even higher.

The point is, consistency pays dividends.

A longwinded and somewhat haphazard way of saying, "it's time for a well-deserved break." 

Family and friends are coming from the four corners of the country. And the Thanksgiving table will be extended into the living room, just past Lucy's (my dog) sleeping pad. There promises to be lots of food, interesting cheeses, novelty hot sauces, smoked poultry, fine bourbon and simmering familial tension.

In other words, juicy grist for the R17 consistency mill.

Have a great holiday.

No comments: