Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Do you have a moment?


It's Jehovah Witness time again.

I just looked out my window and can see them making their way up the street. Knocking on doors. Getting quickly rejected. And then knocking on some more doors.

Soon they'll be here and I will whip out my standard answer, "we're all good in the faith department."

To be honest, I haven't a clue what Jehovah Witnesses believe in.

Or what they might or might not have witnessed.

Frankly, I don't care. I am however fascinated by the sheer gumption of walking up to strangers with the implied belief that they know more about the makings of the universe than anyone else does. As my people say, that's chutzpah.

I can't stop wondering how it would go if I put on a starched shirt, found my itchy slacks, grabbed an umbrella and started cold calling neighbors for a stop and spiritual chat.

"Hello, I was wondering if I could speak to you today about the Word of Rich?"

"You mean the Word of God, right?"

"No, I don't believe in God and I'd like to explain why you shouldn't either."

"Am I being punked? Is somebody filming this?"

"No. And that's the point. Nobody is watching this. There is no Sky Daddy or Sky Mommy. Your life is your own. Your decisions are your own. Time and space are infinite in all directions. There was no Creation, there is no End..."

"That doesn't make any sense to me. I believe in the Bible. I have to take the wet clothes out of the dryer. Have a nice day."

SFX: DOOR CLOSING

And frankly that's the way it should be.

I have my opinion about the meta-physical questions of the universe. And you have yours. Other than occasionally spouting off about them on this blog, I have no desire to press my beliefs upon you. And would appreciate the same reciprocity (ooo, that's a good word.)

Moreover, I don't think anybody including missionaries, street preachers, Lubavitchers, TV Megachurch prophets, or anyone of any stripe, has a right to proselytize to anyone else.

I don't have all or any of the answers.

But here's an undeniable truth, neither does anyone else.



No comments: