Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Slaying doubt


I have a confession to make.

A confession I suspect is common among all freelancers, particularly those of the 44 year old variety.

I thought the phone would never ring again.

Of course, I thought that in:

2008.
2009.
2010.
2011.
2012.
2013.
2014.
2015.
2016.
2017.
2018.

I think you get the picture.

This conviction, that the end was nigh, can create a good deal of fear and doubt. And though I would never share that with someone like Erik Moe, I'm fine sharing it with you.

Just last week I came off what was close to a monthlong gig.

NDAs and a good sense of discretion prevent me from discussing the details of the job. But it doesn't prevent me from revealing that after a long time of doing nothing but cable TV promo ads, banners and email blasts for other companies, I was wondering if I still had what it takes to step into a big ad agency and do big brand advertising.

I think I can safely say, without risk of self aggrandizement, that I do.

Ideas were approved. Anthems were appreciated. And outdoor boards (my favorite medium) were greeted with laughter.

It went a long way to dispel my worst fear (though again, I'm only 44) of living out my end days in a dirty nursing home, eating pureed cottage cheese and binge watching Monty Python's Flying Circus. In fact, as I was leaving the job on the very last day, I had trouble squeezing my swollen head into the Century City elevators.

In other words, I still have it.

And, for a reasonably negotiated day rate as well as some flexibility with regard to remote working, you can have some.

No comments: