Monday, November 26, 2018

Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work we go.


Just wrapped up another gig and thought I'd take time to describe what a wonderful experience I had.

I've done this before. And you might be wondering why I don't get on here and rail against the shitty jobs I've worked on. The ones with shifting strategies, 8 layers of bosses and check-ins on the hour.

I would think the reasoning would be self evident. Because as miserable as those gigs can be, there's usually a somewhat lucrative paycheck at the end of it. Besides I'm no longer in the business of burning bridges, I simply make thinly veiled references to them on my blog.

I signed some fairly lengthy NDAs and won't divulge too many details. Suffice to say, the job took me to a place in Los Angeles that's not often visited. A throwback town from a time long gone. A tiny nook and cranny of a place that can best be thought as Mayberry, RFD.

Only it was considerably less whitebread and considerably more Hispanic. And Filipino. And Asian. And Fijian.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, check out this storefront Hula dancing studio.


It's also a place with many old timey restaurants. Where waitresses still say, "Can I get you more coffee, hon?" And the coffee comes from a pot, not some fancy hissing machine with steamed Argentinian Yak milk.

It's a town with just enough charm.

But the best thing about being there was not being there. Because the good people who hired us on this gig were wise enough to know my partner and I do our best work when we're not fighting the 405 or searching for a quiet spot at the Long Table of Mediocrity™.

Put simply, they allowed us the time and flexibility to work remotely.

I'll never understand agencies that don't go this route. Because if you chain me to a desk in a cramped office, I'll procrastinate, I'll dilly dally, I'll find a way to do Trump memes on the job and in a typical 9-10 hour work day, I'll get in a good 20 minutes worth of work.

But when I'm at home, I'll jam with my partner du jour, kibitz, work out, revisit ideas, tweak, noodle and crank out even more ideas at any and all hours of the day.

In other words, the less you see of me, the more you get of me.

Finally, before this gets disgusting saccharine sweet, I can't say enough about the good people who brought us in on this project. Smart. Professional. And respectful not only of how we like to work, but also about the work we put on the table.

Not that these attributes were in any great supply twenty years ago, but they seem be even less present today.













No comments: