Tuesday, September 22, 2026

I got a bad feeling




Feelings are not facts. One of the truths I've learned in my continuing practice of meditation. And spoken of often by my enlightened friend on the East Coast when life gets tumultuous.

But last week that truth got put to the test. 

I had arrived a day early for a quiet, peaceful weekend at my Palm Springs Airbnb. Ms. Muse and I hadn't been out there for a long time and wanted to poach ourselves in the pool while the sun baked the desert up to 110 degrees. The extreme heat renders the area deserted and thus much more accessible without the tourists. 

And a delight for a misanthrope like myself.

We love it. Nevertheless when I arrived at the house I had a feeling. Something was off. I didn't remember moving the patio furniture to that position. Did I leave the private locker in the garage open? Why are their microwavable chimichangas in the freezer? And I'm way too discerning (picky) to eat nuked food. If I were to put anything in the microwave it wouldn't be store bought frozen chimichangas.

Maybe blintzes.

That night when I sauntered out to the night air for a birthday suit dip in the hot tub and a chance to enjoy the cooling off to 92 degrees, I looked over at the nearby pool gate. There, I noticed a huge chunk of cinder block had been dislodged and the gate busted.

The Mojo Dojo Desert Casa House had been broken into!

My feeling was fact.

I summoned the PSPD and an officer showed up the next morning. I explained the situation and noted that nothing was taken. Not even an almost full bottle of Bulleit smooth-drinking rye. Nor had these uninvited guests rifled through my drawers or cabinets. 

The officer was nonplussed. She had seen this before. Local kids, who know who hasn't been home in a while, will sneak into their backyards, use the pool (and my new cornhole set) and the move on.

As anyone who has ever been the victim of a similar nature knows, it's not a great feeling. Another fact. 

The next day I ran out and got a bevy of Ring Cameras and floodlights to secure the area. When I got home I contacted an electrician to hardwire the interloper-busting equipment around the perimeter. Electrician shows up a few hours later, looks over the project and bumps up his initial estimate of 400 bucks to $3000!!

Using Trumpian Math, that's an increase of over 7825%

I demurred. Returned to Lowe's the next day and replaced the hardwired versions for some battery operated and solar panel assisted ones. 

Very happy with the results. 

Even happier I had found the real thief in this scenario!

 

No comments: