Monday, February 26, 2024

From one old man to another



The president of the United States of America is in one of these two vehicles, iconically referred to as the Beast. Not named after the former president but rather for its excessive tonnage, monstrous military affectations and a killer 8 track stereo system custom built for its 927 year old occupant, Uncle Joe.

"Get me some Beach Boys, Roy Orbison and Ricky Nelson, I love that Garden Party. Great song."

His motorcade rolled through my frumpy little neighborhood last week. In fact, this photo was taken a mere 20 yards from The Plunge, my hometown swimming pool where I like to knock out 4 miles a week. Not so subtle, humblebrag.

I know I've strung a bunch of political posts here lately, but I'm frothing with anger about our current situation. In a text conversation my good friend and Internet security guru, Jeff Gelberg, he suggested I switch off the MSNBC and tune in to the latest episode of Jeopardy for a 30 minute respite from the nonstop turmoil.

When I say tune in, I mean stream, as I have recently cut the chord with DirecTV in order to save $145 a month for TV I don't watch that often. More on that at a later date.

And while I'm fascinated by politics, don't mistake that for any political expertise. My less than stellar political acumen explains my many trips to the HR office, a long list of angry ex colleagues, and my numerous years stuck in the morass of middle management. 

Nevertheless, he persisted.

Today I offer up a new strategy for the Democratic Brass that seems to have no idea how to convey a message. 

And by new I only mean it's new because in the brain fog that seems to follow President Biden, he might have forgotten. 

Remember way back in 2019, before Covid, before the Insurrection, before we found ourselves staring at the fall of our democracy...oh, I'm sorry, our Constitutional Republic. I love how Red Hats get all weak in the knees when feigning fealty to the Constitution, especially those who carry a pocket version in their Walmart shirts. 

While on the stump, then civilian Joe Biden promised that if elected he would commit huge resources and energy to curing Cancer. Since taking office I have not seen or heard one word to make good on that promise. 

Which is a mistake.

I'm happy that after 200 Infrastructure weeks (TFG) and no concrete action, pardon the wordplay, Biden put together and passed a bipartisan plan, not Make America Great Again -- whatever the fuck that means -- but to Make America Work again. Our highways, schools and airports were literally crumbling right beneath our feet. And it was smart to fix the things that affect us all.

Cancer is even more consequential. And I suspect a trillion dollar expenditure to take it out of our miserable vernacular would be met with overwhelming support. Even from the knuckle draggers and the three toed Neanderthal from across the aisle. 

Come on Joe, make good on your promise to Fuck Cancer.

Because in doing so, you will not only cement your legacy as a transformational President, you will also...










 

No comments: