Monday, May 15, 2023

WWGWGA


For all intents and purposes I should not be writing today's post. Or any other posts for that matter until my creative brethren up the street at Sony Studios get paid what they are due. 

I should be on strike. And walking the picket lines alongside the 30 and 40 year old clicker and clackers who put so much good television on the air and so many mediocre Marvel superheroes up on the silver screen. 

I might even try to join them if they'll allow me to carry a sign. 

Sadly I'm not a full fledged member of the Guild. I was an associate member for a while (I think) but if memory serves -- and often it doesn't -- I didn't have enough credits/points to be eligible for full status in their little club. Faithful readers of R17 know my relationship with clubs and club membership is tenuous at best. 

I spent years attempting to get into the Illuminatti. Even writing the word, Illuminati, will now trigger a flood of scammy invitations.  And who can forget the many emails I sent back and forth in my failed attempts to join the prestigious Mara Lago Country Club.

This, however is different. 

Granted, TV and film writers have always looked down their noses at those of us who pimped our ability to put words on a page, to the highest and often stupidest corporate bidder. Advertising and ad people have always been the poor stepchild in the entertainment industry. Perhaps rightfully so, since apart from those wonderful Ozampic commercials, there is very little in the way of entertainment in any advertising these days.

Nevertheless I feel a certain kinship to the young writers who were and still are willing to sit in a writer's room until two in the morning, eating Whoppers and cold onion rings, and figuring out the next beat or the next snarky snippet of dialogue to emerge from the mouth of Young Sheldon. That's not an easy gig.

Plus, there's the signs. 

You give a writer a blank slate, a marker pen and an opportunity to spew some red hot anger towards the overpaid, under-talented Man and you're gonna get some gold (see handwritten sign above and Google for more.)

Naturally, I thought I'd try my hand at this...















No comments: