Tuesday, May 23, 2023

A tribute to Minneapolis


It took me a while to start understanding this advertising thing. Sad to say, but I paid a lot and learned very little of value at Syracuse University, one of the premier institutions of higher learning when it comes to the Communication Arts. 

Or so I'm told.

My real education came elsewhere.

Last week, someone had posted an homage to Tom Lichtenheld, one of the many talented art directors at Fallon McElligot in the 1980's. I recognized his name from the many years I studied, and held in awe, the work of that great agency. Most notably the print. Most specifically, the glorious headlines.

In retrospect, I can now see that while my alma mater, Chiat/Day and our neighbors to the north, Wieden Kennedy, were doing the sexier, flashier TV work, it was Fallon in Minneapolis, that carried the torch of outstanding print done by DDB in the 60's.

That was the kind of work I wanted to do. And for good reason. 

TV was expensive. Meaning, there were always too many eyes on every project. Those watchful eyes were often attached to faces, that also had mouths. And to be quite frank, I wasn't much interested in creative by committee. I'm still that way. Even in my semi-retirement. 

One of the great campaigns to come from Fallon during that era, was the business to business campaign for Rolling Stone magazine. Not only did it win a ton of awards it earned a place in pop culture and the Perception/Reality device became as ubiquitous as "Got Milk?"

In that grateful spirit, I offer my own homage. 

Inspired by the previous work of Fallon McElligicott and a tip of the hat to Nick Adams, the world's most pathetic Trump fanboy/sycophant, who calls himself an Alpha Male (a self-defeating proposition) and who regularly posts doctored images of the object of his deification. 

I offer a sobering counterpoint.

Enjoy...






If anyone has TDS -- Trump Derangement Syndrome -- I'd suggest it's the delusional folks with the Red Golf caps. 

They'd be funny. If they also weren't dangerous.




No comments: