Thursday, January 19, 2023

Thank you President Trump, seriously


If you have come across me on social media or if you've read at least 5 random posts on this blog, you know how repulsed I am by this walking, talking, braindead sack of fetid haggis. 

In fact, apart from the people of Germany (circa 1920-1950) and their complicit murderers in the adjoining nations (I'm looking at you Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, and Ukraine), I have not hated anything or anyone more.

Nevertheless I'm trying to adopt a new mindset of gratefulness. And it had occurred to me that in addition to fresh frozen seafood delivered to my door and a local dispensary within walking distance to my house, I should be thankful for our esteemed, top secret document-pilfering ex president.

Here's why...

His descent down the golden (faux golden) escalator at Trump Tower was an inflection point and clearly marked the ascent of political awareness in America. 

From my personal point of view, I was semi-conscious of politics prior to this goatish boil-brained barnacle. And had admittedly fallen asleep at the wheel under the calming and steady leadership of President Obama, who stewarded an 8 year economic growth plan, resisted launching any new wars and brought a steady functional moral compass to the White House.

But following that apocalyptic day in November 2016, I was awakened in a way I didn't think possible.

For instance, the notion of the three branches of our Federal government came into clearer view. And their powers and roles were cemented in my head. I had never heard the phrase "oversight committee" or "Inspector General" prior to the arrival of this rump-fed puttock. 

Now, I see both as critical to the well being of our democracy. 

Oh, I'm sorry, as I've been told many times by pocket Constitution carrying Red Hats, our Republic. And by the way, a republic is a subset of Democracy, so technically either is correct.

Similarly, I might have been aware of it, but was probably distracted by many other things like dashboard videos of Russian automobile crashes, but the state structure of government closely mirrors that of the fed. I knew that before but it never found traction in my tiny brain, in the same way that I always find it difficult to spell medieval or rhthym. 

That of course has changed. And now I often find myself eyeing a possible political run for a California state senate position. 

Speaking of senate, at some point in 2017 or 2018, I could rattle off the names of all 53 GOP senators in the Upper Chamber. 

Do not think for a minute that I am being hyperbolic or in some manner or form, humblebragging. I knew their names because I had written letters and researched every single one of them. You can read all bout it my book, Mr. Siegel Writes to Washington, available on Amazon or wherever books of superior intellect + prurient juvenile humor are sold.

If it's any indication, I suspect from my anecdotal research on social media, that I am not alone in this greater political awakening.

It reminds me of 1999, when we were pitching for the Wall Street Journal account, which eventually went to Goodby. One of our campaigns centered around the strategy (given to us from Lee Clow, not the Planning Deparment) that "Business" had quickly become the "Sports" of the day. In that people were acutely aware of their growing investments, their 401k and the latest in mergers and acquisition. And were watching each with a certain fervor.

These days, thanks to our hyper-divisiveness and the orange, swag-bellied, hedge pig, "Politics" has  become the "Sports" of the day.

All, thanks to you know who.



No comments: