Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Adventures in AI


I may be late to the AI party but that's only because the maid I had hired a few months ago is incapacitated now and I find myself with new additional housecleaning duties, which I'm discovering never seem to end.

How, I ask myself, can one man go through so many dishes?

Similarly, I ask myself, to cut down on laundry can I turn my underwear inside out or is that taboo?

Only now, I no longer have to ask myself those type of profound old bachelor guy questions. Now I have ChatGPT. To wit...

I'm sure this was not the intended use of Artificial Intelligence by the engineers, computer scientists, PhD's and nerdbots, when they began confibulating the flick flacks, dialing in the hyper-optimized javascript and solving quadratic equations that would shame the writers of the indecipherable Westworld. 

But I am a simple man who has made a career of asking the simple, and often dumb, questions.

Sadly, however, the answers provided by ChatGPT, are of the anodyne variety. And seem to be ripped from the same Wiki pages which pass for research in our rigorless world of instant but useless data.

Then I decided to get a little more personal and solicit fashion advice from this creature whose father (or mother) often favors pocket protectors. 


Now, we're getting somewhere and "cooking with gas" as my friend Jean Robaire might say. 

So I turned my attention to matters close to my own hardened heart.

Meh.

I can do better than that in my sleep. Even during my salacious dreams that might involve Scarlett Johannson, Megan Fox or Miley Cyrus. Or all three.

But, I thought, perhaps I could get ChatGPT to shoulder some of the heavy lifting of my vocation.


Not sure any of those are going to send the stock price through the roof or earn me a first class ticket to Cannes -- do ad people even go to Cannes anymore? Or has Holding Company avarice curtailed that kind of monetary frivolity and scaled it back to Des Moines, which is French-sounding though considerably more downscale?

To summarize, I was less than impressed with ChatGPT, which in my humble but deadly accurate opinion needs a more user friendly name like Jennings or Solomon or Angry Karen.

That is not say I won't be playing with it. I will. Particularly after this favorable exchange.


What do you think?

Would you like more polls?




 


1 comment: