Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Earl the Pearl


Earl Boen died last week.

You might not know that name as he was a member of the large community of actors who often go by, "You're the guy who was in that thing....you know...with what's her name...it'll come to me."

It never does. 

That's the burden carried by character actors. Character actors like M.Emmett Walsh, who lives in the house behind me and lives up to his descriptor in so many ways. 

BTW, that's Earl in the middle, in a scene from the first iconic Terminator movie. I think they're up to double digits in sequels. 

Terminator 17: The Rise of the Three Armed Pescatarians

I met Earl a long, long time ago. So long ago that my addled brain can't tell you what year. Or even what decade. And barely what century. I do remember he was the consummate VO guy. Willing to do take after take, variation after variation, ad infinitum...

I believe it was when I was new to the business and had been entrusted to conduct my own voice over sessions without the watchful ear of an ACD or CD. It was all on-the-job training. Of course I was always accompanied by a great producer. And had the pleasure of working with the best producers in the business. Whether they were from Abert, Newhoff and Burr, Bozell, Chiat, or Team One.  

I miss those days. I miss being treated like royalty by the recording houses. 

"Yes, I do believe I will have a custom omelette made with exotic Japanese mushrooms, thank you." 

They were mostly located in Hollywood or on Cahuenga, wedged between Hanna Barbera, makers of family friendly cartoons and Vivid Pictures, makers of adult pictures about activities that can sometimes result in families.

I miss chatting with the talent behind the scenes and listening to their many fascinating on-set stories. And who's kidding who here, there's something fun about working with these folks and being the director (boss).

"I think you popped a P on that one, can you do that again."

"Try it with a little more smile."

"That was great, how about 5 more, just for safety."

Not once in my questionably-successful career did I ever use a safety take. 

But it was fun. And colorful. If I can indulge in a little namedropping, I've worked with David Duchovney, Joseph Fiennes, Dan Castellaneta, Hank Azaria and Tres Macneile (all Simpsons), Ed Grover and Owen Wilson. I'm positive Owen showed up at the session stoned, but that did not faze the entire studio female staff, who were in a surreal state of swooning and hung on his every word.

Anyway, I just wanted to say, Rest in Peace, Earl. 

I apologize for this vocational walk into the land of nostalgia. I'll get back to composing emails now, those snappy Subject Lines aren't going to write themselves. 


 

No comments: