Wednesday, September 7, 2022

On Leon


Ever come across a new musician that grabs you by your Dumbo ears and simply won't go?  

Last week while doom scrolling through my social media feed I came across some homemade drone videos via my friend and former Chiat/Day colleague, David L. (I didn't secure his permission so I'm leaving this open-ended). 

The video featured a music track from Leon Bridges, pictured above with his amazing back up singer, the beautiful and soulful Brittni Jessi.

The track, Coming Home, intrigued me so much I decided to dive head first into this cool cat named Leon. 

Granted when it comes to today's music I'm not the expert I pretend to be in other areas of my life. In fact, if Modern Music came up as a category on Jeopardy, I would have my ignorant ass handed to me by my two all-knowing daughters.

And so it should come as no surprise that I may be the last fat old white guy in the greater Southern California territory jumping on the Leon Bridges train. If you read yesterday's post, maybe I should say formerly-fat. 

The point is, I'm late.

But that hasn't stopped me from diving into the deep end. In fact, as I write this --and I never write with music playing -- Leon & Brittni are playing on a non-stop stream compliments of Pandora. Do the kids still use this Pandora? Or are they still on Napster?

If you bother to investigate this amazing musician and his singular style you will find someone who is equally out of touch with the times. Making music from another era, another universe. 

See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_paZpQvca0  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whe7MURlKLw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTrKkqE9p1o

Maybe I'm just getting melancholy in my soon-to-be old age. But I find Leon & Brittni have the ability to transcend the space/time continuum. They are like the Rod Serling of Rhythm and Blues.

Next Stop, Willoughby.

1 comment:

george tannenbaum said...

Josh White.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po5rUasUWIg