Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Blinded by the potential


There was an article in the NY Times last week about Peloton. The demise of Peloton. And the rush of Peloton users to sell their Peloton bikes. 

You'll have to pry mine out from under my overworked, rock hard quads.

I love my Peloton. 

And no, I'm not being paid as some senior influencer looking to score some brownie points with the Peloton brass. Or maybe even a free year's worth of the overpriced subscription which really should contain more scenic rides and a wider range of music choices. But chances are I will post a link to this piece on the Peloton FB page, you know, just in case.

What began as an obsession has now become an addictive part of my everyday living. And whereas I once  struggled to crank out 30-45 minutes on the machine that without regular wiping would be caked in the salty remnants of my sweat, is now upwards of 75-120 minutes a day.

And so it should come as no surprise that at the end of each day I have close to 6 hand towels, including the 4 Peloton-branded towels Deb bought me for my birthday last year, that need time in the washer and dryer. 

It's not pretty. 

What is pretty is the descending numbers on my scale. And the little tags on my clothes that indicate my former girth. As mentioned in previous posts, I'm now in the 180's. Ok, the high 180's. Ok, 189.9 to be embarrassingly honest. But Rome wasn't built in a day. Conversely, as the folks in Ukraine can attest, Chernobyl wasn't disassembled in a day, either. 

My goal is to get to the 170's which would put me in the acceptable healthy range for a man of my age and diminishing height. I haven't been in the 170's since I was Mr. Albanese's 7th Grade Biology class. 

I might wear out the leather in my special Peloton shoes, but damnit, I'm nothing if not determined. As many a crying Planner/Strategist/Account Executive will confirm.

If I may paraphrase, an expert in this area once said, "the best workouts begin in the kitchen." Or something like that. 

To that end I have all but eliminated packaged food from my diet, leaning into the major food groups that are most important: fruits, vegetables, lean meats and whiskey.

In fact, I've all but cut out red meat and replaced it with a variety of seafood; salmon, halibut, shrimp, codfish, scallops and even lobster tails. They reach my house via the good people at Sea to Table. 

Again, I'm not writing this as an influencer post, but should the fine folks at Sea to Table want to spring some extra 'tails' or sandy scallops on me for pimping their excellent selection of frozen fresh fish, who am I to say no?

I'm beginning to see the magic in this influencer blogging type thing. This could open up a whole new avenue for me. Particularly now that I am considering replacing the 25 year old wood blinds in my house with fine, luxurious shutters from the industry-leading pioneers in custom shutters, Hunter Douglas.

Hello, Hunter Douglas.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading this made me hungry.

Anonymous said...

As a current member of the 170s club and former member of the 180s (well - 190), I applaud your dedication. And yeah I had to cut beer, processed food and sadly bagels to get here.

Anonymous said...

Bravo. No days off!