Wednesday, July 20, 2022

On Dead Jews


In contrast to this week's earlier and lighter posts, I'd like to conclude my review of the book pictured above. The title is a real eyecatcher and when placed on the coffee table, an immediate conversation starter.  The book was recommended by my dear friend Jim Jennewein, my second favorite personal librarian.

Jim is a Professor of Screenwriting at Fordham University. 

It is my sincere hope that somehow I can arrange a playdate between him and George Tannenbaum, the most well read person in my arsenal of 5000+ social media friends. Both share an amazing wealth of knowledge and a similar world view. They both also share a friendship with my former writing partner, Rob Schwartz, CEO of TBWA Chiat/Day.

Perhaps Rob could be the conduit to an evening or a breakfast of old man schmoozing at Katz's Deli.

Due to unrelated circumstances, it took me a while to complete the book, which I had written about earlier. More specifically, the story of the nomadic Jews who had turned Harbin, China into a bustling successful town in the early 1900's. You can read that here.   

The other reason for the slow read: I wanted to savor every word, and think about the nuanced way the author, Dara Horn, unpeels the levels of antisemitism that has plagued, and stifled, humanity for more than 3000 years. Think how many unwritten books, operas, patents, advancements and meaningful contributions that wafted from those chimneys at Auschwicz-Birkenau.

In one chapter, Ms. Horn dispels the trope that officers at Ellis Island often changed the names of Jewish immigrants because they couldn't pronounce or in many cases even read them. That happened, to be sure. But the majority of cases of name changes were instigated by Jews themselves, thinking they would assimilate and prosper better with more Americanized names. 

As for the prosperity and the established work ethic that is second to none, many gentiles have mischaracterized this drive in the most unflattering of ways which I will not be a party to. She devotes a whole chapter to the Bard's Shylock character.

The proper perspective, and this is me talking, not Ms. Horn, is that wealth, power and education are not only goals in and of themselves, they are survival tools. Employed, if necessary, during the darkest times to manifest escape, elude persecution and pass the sacred torch onto the next generation.

In case you hadn't noticed, it works.

By far, my favorite chapter was the one concerning Darnia, which I would bet $1000 none of you have ever heard of. Hell, I'm up on all things Jewish, except maybe Broad City, I haven't watched that, but my daughters swear by it, and I hadn't even heard of it.

I dog-earred an excerpt from the book to give this context. 

Here, the author describes her visit to Damascus, Syria (That's right, Syria) and one of the oldest synagogues in the world...

"I''m standing in a jewel box. the small room is illuminated by dozens of elaborate beaded chandeliers, its walls are covered with thick red velvet drapes, its stone floor with richly patterned carpets. In front of of me is a large flat stone topped with a golden menorah. An inscription informs me, the Hebrew prophet Elijah annointed his successor Elisha, as described in the biblical Book of Kings.

It is remarkably well preserved and startingly intimate. There are no pews here; instead there are low cushioned couches facing one another, as though they were in a sacred living room. A raised marble platform at the room's center has a draped table for public Torah readings, on the room's far end is an ornate wooden cabinet filled with ancient Torah scrolls, their parchments concealed inside magnificent silver cases. On the wall are framed Hebrew inscription, featuring the same prayers my son is currently mastering for his bar mitzvah. I read the familiar ancient words and feel my breath breath leave me with the jerking motion of a dream, tripping on a missing step as I fall through time."

I love this passage. Not because I'm particularly religious, I'm not, but when traveling the world, Deb and I always made a point to visit synagogues. In Toledo, Spain, in Milan, Italy and even on Papeete, Tahiti.

There's a misdirect here however.

Because this beautiful ancient temple, a gathering spot for Syrian Jews, like my uncle on my mother's side, no longer exists. 

Except online, where it has been faithfully and virtually recreated by Darnia, a cultural organization that seeks to preserve the rapidly decreasing Jewish presence throughout the world and because of rising and toxic antisemitism determined the de-judaize the Middle East, much like the Spaniards and the Catholic Church tried to do centuries ago.

I don't have a funny ending to this post, only the optimistic hope that the current wave of nativism and right wing populism will be outlasted by those who see value in diversity, peace and personal  responsibility.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for writing about this. I would like to add one thing. With the exception of Israel, the Middle East has already been de-judaized. And now the world is working toward doing the same to Israel by delegitimizing it. They say it's stolen land. They say it's an apartheid state. They say it is committing genocide. They say Jews are Europeans only - and not indigenous to the Middle East. They say we have no historical claim to the land. Of course, this is absurd. But the world believes this. And they believe it not only because of the right wing radicals you mention in your review, but because of the left wing radicals, too. We all know skinheads and Nazis and fundamentalists are antisemitic. But the radical left is even more dangerous because they equate Zionism with racism, compare Israel to Colonialism and fail to recognize the fact that Israel is our ancestral homeland and we have a legitimate right to have a state there (as do the Palestinians). Many social justice movements even go so far as to call Jews white supremacists - which is horrific. Anyway, I just think you do a disservice by not mentioning the rising antisemitism of the left along with the well-documented antisemitism of the right.