Monday, July 18, 2022

Do do do do, do do do do


I'm not big on the paranormal.

Don't get me wrong I love reading about the paranormal or watching the paranormal in films and TV shows hosted by Rod Serling. And I'm not just saying that because Rod was from Syracuse, born to shtetl people like myself, and had knock down, drag-out fights with his bosses over what he could or couldn't write. OK, maybe a little.

Just as an aside and as someone who has a stack of spec TV scripts buried in his garage, Rod and the staff pulled off amazing feats of writing by telling unusual and thoughtful flights of fancy and resolving each story masterfully, all within 22 -24 minutes of screen time. 

No small task.

But my lifelong skepticism about the unknown is waning. Maybe I'm having my own late stage of life enlightenment. Or maybe it's the THC-infused mints I've been popping in my mouth like chiclets, but there's something going on out there. 

And in all likelihood, due to my busy schedule of writing spam mail, riding on the Peleton, and lifting inordinate weights for a 64 year old man, I won't get to the bottom of it.

But I will provide examples. 

I can't begin to tell you how many deja-vu moments I've been experiencing lately. The ones that stop you in your tracks, "Wait a minute, I'm eating my glazed smoked salmon, enjoying a Corona Light and reading about ex Precedent Shitgibbon taking a flamethrower to every manner of Presidential decorum." 

I feel like I've been here before.

Perhaps that's a bad example as I experienced that one on a daily basis for the past 5 years.

A better example of would be me writing one of my blog pieces in the morning and using an odd rarely-employed multisyllabic adjective, like 'punctilious' or making a vague reference to a far away land in one of my social media comments, something about Vilnius, Reykjavik or Banff National Park, only to see it appear later that night in a Jeopardy clue.

That shit happens all the time!

Yesterday I was on a hike with a friend. And for some reason or other we were chatting about Robin Leach and his featherweight show about obscenely wealthy people -- "Champagne kisses and caviar dreams."

Mind you I spend as much time thinking about Robin Leach as I do thinking about wearing a toupee -- to be exact, none.

Nevertheless, later that quiet Saturday night, I was watching CNN and came across one of their look backs on the TV in the 80's. And sure as hell, I look up from my phone and there's Robin Leach talking about "champagne kisses and caviar dreams."

I was gobsmacked.

Begging the question, is time linear as we suppose? Or does it double back on itself like a Quintin Tarantino movie. Also, if I'm gonna be stuck in a time warp why can't it be when I was in my twenties, had a full head of hair and could still slip into a size 32 inch waist Levi's?

Begging question #2, how, after 64 years on this planet, have I not indulged myself with a plate of caviar? Do they sell that at Ralph's?


1 comment:

Gale Litt said...

Rich--
I AM big on the paranormal and have been all my life. The experiences you describe could be considered examples of "synchronicity." A concept defined by Webster as: "the coincidental occurrence of events and especially psychic events (such as similar thoughts in widely separated persons or a mental image of an unexpected event before it happens) that seem related but are not explained by conventional mechanisms of causality —used especially in the psychology of Carl Gustav Jung"
As for the Linearity of Time and The Delights of Caviar, my response would be that both are entirely subjective.