Thursday, September 2, 2021

WTF?


Weeks ago, I started a new themed series here on RoundSeventeen. As some of you might have noticed over the years -- I'm talking to you 8 regular readers -- I like doing themed series. In a very measurable way it saves me a lot of time and trouble trying to come up with new material.

Moreover, the practice leans into my training in advertising. 

After all, a big idea is only a big idea if it can be pooled out. Given legs. Executed thematically in many different ways.

To that end, when I stumbled upon "Shit I Will Never Understand", I knew instinctively that this would be an easy Go To topic. Particularly at the end of the week. And even more particularly in the year 2021, where every day the news cycle delivers more and more Shit I will Never Understand.

First up...

IVERMECTIN -- Two months ago it looked like we would finally emerge from this Covid Hell we've all been struggling through. Shots were going into arms and we were in striking distance of Herd Immunity. 

But then came along a bunch of shyster degreed clowns pimping their own medicine, leveraging the distrust of government (fueled by Q and the GQP) and sending thousands of fishbrained Americans to their local veterinary clinic.

"I'm concerned about Covid, but I'm gonna take a hard pass on those mRNA based vaccines which have been in development for more than a decade and cleverly mimic the attributes of Covid thus triggering the body's proclivity to produce antibodies. Instead I'm gonna score some horse dewormer from the guy who makes stable visits and puts food on his family's table by expressing the anal glans of dogs, cats and the occasional pet ferret."

AFGHANISTAN -- We are out. And that is a very, very good thing. I will concede that the initial footage from the withdrawal was chaotic. And the optics looked terrible for President Biden. And he will have to own that. Nor did it help matters when ISIS-X or ISIS-K, cowardly sent a suicide bomber into the soft target and took the lives of 200 people including 13 US soldiers. 

But had we reneged on Precedent Shitgibbon's Surrender Plan ("I make the best deals") the Taliban would have escalated the warfare and many more US soldiers would have died, especially when you consider the troop totals had been drawn down to 2500.

And the military hardware left behind? Well that was given to the Afghan Army by three previous US presidents, not President Biden. And what exactly are the naysayers concerned about? Have you seen a map of Afghanistan? Who are they going to turn those weapons against? Iran? Pakistan? Tadjikistan? None of whom are all that friendly to US interests. Have at it.

and finally...

WATER -- It is accepted as fact that humans can go up to a week without food. Given my girthiness and my current inability to exercise (hip replacement), I could probably last two weeks, but not be very happy about it. Conversely, the human body can only go 2-3 days without water.

It is, without a doubt, our most precious resource. Which doesn't stop my neighbor from diligently washing his 18 motor vehicles at least twice a week. 

Out here in the West, our water supply is at its lowest in decades. You might have seen pictures of the Colorado River. I've seen my dog produce more powerful and robust streams. Meanwhile, our supply of fresh water is dwindling. At the same time, due to global warming, our sea levels are rising.

Riddle me this Batman, why are we not undertaking a huge engineering project, like generations before us, and building a pipeline, tunnel or canal, that would funnel water from the Pacific into vast reservoirs in Nevada, Utah and Idaho, where, through the process of solar powered desalination, that water could be used to irrigate farms, power top hydroelectric plants and restock our lakes, rivers and water tanks.

It would also relieve the inconceivable guilt my neighbor must be harboring for wasting all the precious H20 on his small fleet of vehicles.  








No comments: