Monday, September 20, 2021

Noooooorm!


I met Norm Macdonald twice. 

Three times if you count the encounter in the hallway at Margarita Mix (the recording studio in Santa Monica), when I decided it would be best not to say anything, lest he think I was some kind of celebrity stalker.

Occasion #1 -- This was close to 25 years ago when my art director partner John Shirley and I were riding the crest of ad world notoriety with the ABC Yellow campaign. 

We had been in NYC for the TV upfront, where the network rolled out its slew of new programs and peacocked them in front of easily-excited media buyers. It was such a panoply of shit shows, including one season wonders like Hiller & Diller and Over the Top, it was no surprise the people wanted to talk about our campaign. 

At least that was mildly funny.

Following the big production at Radio City Music Hall, where I had the displeasure of watching Dan Ackroyd mangle a manifesto I had written, the small ABC team headed out for some over-served, Omnicom-paid celebration. We walked over to Rockefeller Center and rode the elevator up to the Rainbow Room. If it hadn't been for all that top-shelf bourbon and champagne I might even begin to describe the experience. But I can't.

On the way down, however, we were exiting the lobby when young Norm Macdonald was walking in. I could not resist the opportunity to fanboy the man who had provided so many laughs.

You cannot beat his many appearances on the Dennis Miller Show (before Dennis Miller turned into a fascist). You can see them here

Norm shook our hands and exchanged some pleasantries, which are also lost in the ether.

Occasion #2 -- The second time I ran into Norm he was nearly naked. 

It was in the tiny locker room at the Playa Vista Condo complex at the corner of Jefferson and Lincoln Blvd. The health club served as one of the luxury amenities for all residents of the sprawling Playa Vista complex built atop the former Ballona Wetlands. My brother also had an apartment there and generously let me use his key card to swim in their heated, outdoor Olympic sized pool, which I often had to my self. Aqua-Heaven.

Norm lived in one of the much more expensive buildings and was using the gym facilities as well. I almost didn't recognize him wearing his tightey whiteys. I took the opportunity to apologize for our previous encounter, which of course he did not remember, but he graciously accepted my apologies. 

This happened about 7-8 years ago, when I was swimming regularly. In hindsight, I can tell Norm was not well. His complexion was pale. And he didn't look like he does on TV.

Upon further hindsight, I can tell he was bearing the great load that cancer puts on a body.

I will miss Norm Macdonald. He was a channel stopper. 

If you ever come across his many late night appearances or clips of him doing stand up, do yourself the favor and watch. The labored deadpan delivery, the giggling, the infectious smile, and the inimitable timing, made him that one in 10,000 comedians that you will never forget.

Rest In Peace, Norm.

And thank you.



No comments: