Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Camping adventures 2021


Not that anybody noticed, and I sure hope they didn't, but I have been away from my computer, away from social media and away from the world for the past days.

For the 18th time in the last 20 years, we joined our friends the Levys and the Sinfield, and made our way to Upper Gray's Meadow, 7000 feet above the town of Independence, CA. Just a stone's throw from Manzanar Internment Camp, another shameful chapter in our country's history. 

This year, unlike every other year, we traded in our uneven and often rocky tenting space and the Cabinmaster 8000 Series 6 person(?) tent with the unzippable zippers for something a bit more accommodating.


Oh yeah, we stepped up in a major way. 

Mostly for my wife's comfort. But also because the thought of crawling out of my damn tent 7 times a night to empty my overactive bladder, filled with Mojitos and Corona Lights brought on a steady stream of nihilistic dark thoughts. 

Instead I opted for a comfy queen size bed and a flushable toilet just inches away from my feet where my clean flop flops awaited. And wouldn't you know it, ensconced in our rented luxurious 2021 Ram Coachman Nova, with the easy-on generator, on command hot shower and unheard of air conditioning to ward off the 3 digit temperatures, I only had to venture out of bed once the entire evening.

I was in heaven. Who knew heaven was just off scenic route 395 in the heart of MAGA country. 

Quick aside: While fueling up in Lone Pine for the return trip, we stopped at a Carl's/Shell station. There are a lot of these odd combos up here in MAGALand; The Pizza Hut/Ace Hardware store, The Taco Bell/Bed, Bath and Beyond and the Subway/Hobby Lobby. 

As my wife was exiting the store, she noticed a tattooed, bucktooth local yelling at an Asian family, all wearing the appropriate Covid-prevention devices.

"Take off your fucking masks, you pussies."

To which my wife, even not at full strength, responded, "Mind your own fucking business."

I love her feistiness. And her incomparable sense of right and wrong.

Thankfully, the brain addled local did not hear her as he was hightailing his way to the park across the street to smoke some Meth.

God Bless America.

Good to be back.

No comments: