Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Close the curtains, I'm sleeping


As you read these wearily written words on a bright Tuesday morning, there's a good chance I'll be asleep. Or trying to get some sleep because I have been working all night long.

This week I'm on the graveyard shift, punching in at 12 o'clock at night. And calling it a day, or night, or whatever, sometime after the sun rises and pokes its head through our smoky, wildfire enraged sky.

If you're expecting one of my long, expletive-laced, signature vocational rants, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you. To the contrary, my nocturnal activity is of a different nature. Because I'm in production!!!

It's been a long, long time since I've been able to utter those words. Indeed, not many 44 year old freelance copywriters can. Most these days, are happy to be on the payroll in whatever form or or fashion that happens to take.

"Banner ads? Sure I can do that."

"E-mail blasts? Blast away."

"Experience with upper respiratory disease or arthritic bone surgery? Hand me the brief."

Believe me, I'm well aware of the fallow times we live in. All of which makes it so shocking to me that I'm actually in production!!!

Discretion requires that I say nothing of the client or the nature of the project. And in the interest of continued tomahawk steaks landing on my kitchen table, I have no intention of putting any of that at risk. 

Suffice to say, that the production is taking place in another part of the world, 18 time zones away and I'm still here in Culver City. Meaning there are no breakfast burritos, no client massage tables and no cajoling with craft service girls who are shockingly younger than my own daughters. 

But there is this: I am in production!!!

I can't say that enough. 

More importantly, in a couple of weeks I'll be in post-production. 

Again without the benefit of banana smoothies or late afternoon lattes made with special hand-curated South Argentinian coffee beans secured by only the finest post production houses in all of West Los Angeles.

All of which is a small sacrifice considering I'm once again doing what I love doing. And, fingers crossed, have the highest of hopes for what promises to be some of the funniest shit I've ever been involved with.

Ok, I'm going back to sleep now.


No comments: