Thursday, March 5, 2009

Do Not Disturb


In what could be the irony of all ironies, you can't pick up a newspaper today without reading about the death of newspapers.

Subscriptions are down. Advertising is down. Revenue is down.
In an effort to cut costs, our own Los Angeles Times has begun the painful process of consolidation. When the housing bubble burst, they eliminated the Real Estate Section. When Governor Schwarznegger declared a statewide financial crisis, they eliminated the California section. I suspect when AIG has fleeced the government of their last red cent and finally goes belly up, we can say goodbye to the Business section.

I love the internet. But I also love newspapers. If they go away, I'm going to have to get a very long extension chord for my computer.

No comments: