Thursday, August 26, 2021

Space Force


There is a video I share often on social media.

I might have even shared it here on RoundSeventeen once, maybe twice, maybe even three times. Who knows, sometimes I forget things like how to spell 'trepidation' or if I got along with a certain person in one of my many past advertising lives. 

Nevertheless I'm sharing it again, because it requires repeated viewings.

The video is not actually a video but a slow push in on a composited photo consisting of billions and billions of pixels. And it was put to a haunting piece of music that perfectly captures the awe contained within.

When you watch this video, and I guarantee you won't just watch it once, you can't help but to put things in proper perspective. 

Suddenly, what seemed pressing, like the stack of unpaid bills on the kitchen counter, the barking dogs on my street, and the streets to the east and the west of my house, and my daughter's panoply of shoes strewn about the house like so many lost Legos, didn't seem so pressing. 

By the way, I tried to use the word panoply in some body copy last week and had my hand slapped, I assume for being too cerebral. The substituted word, plethora, met a similar fate.

Not to get too nihilistic, but the truth is when looking at this amazing piece it's hard to fathom anything really mattering at all. 

Not the fender swipe on our leased Mazda CX5. Nor an impending nuclear holocaust that would obliterate life on this planet, which would have Zero, to the power of a billion ones, impact on this unfathomably large universe. 

To believe that the Creator of all this gives a rat's ass whether I put cheese on my burger or whether two men decide to love each other or whether someone draws a cartoon of the said Creator is equally unfathomable. The astute reader will note I bagged on all three Abrahamic religions.

That is not to say that nothing comes of this. 

Pardon the dime store philosophy, but my takeaway is quite simple. This, along with my wife's cancer, serve to remind me that we live in the Now. Time and space may be infinite, but we are not. 

And though it can be a struggle sometimes, I'm pushing myself to be kinder, more generous and more understanding with friends, family and even co-workers. Because they have their own tsuris.

But that does not apply to cretinous social media Red Hats, who have given this particular point of Now in American history a black eye. They will continue to be the object of my scorn. Here's an actual snippet from a Cool Aid Kultist:

IT'S CALLED A BIO-WEAPON FOR A REASON. SO HOW WOULD TRUMP KNOW ABOUT UNTIL IT WAS UNLEASHED UPON THE PUBLIC AND YOU HAVE THE AZZ-CLOWN FAKE NEWS RUNNING COVER FOR IT. IT'S CALLED A VACCINE BUT IT DOESN'T CURE IT. I BELIEVE THEIR ON THEIR 4TH BOOSTER SHOT COMING UP AFTER THE NEW DELTA STRAIN, AND THEN THEY'LL BE ANOTHER ONE. AND DR. EVIL FA--UCI IS COMPLICITE WITH THE CHYNESE IN MANUFACTURING THE VIRUS THROUGH GAIN OF FUNCTION. HOW WOULD ONE EXPLAIN DR. EVIL PREDICTING A PANDEMIC ?

Sadly, the "writer" of this brain vomit went to my high school. Ugh. 

Now you know why that scorn that burns with all the heat of every Supernova star seen in the video.

And then some.






No comments: