Monday, January 29, 2024

Thoroughly Modern Richie


Modernism Week is almost upon us. 

In two weeks time the artsy fartsy crowds will be clogging up the boutiques on Palm Canyon Drive and it will be impossible to get an Aperol Spritz at any of the tony bars within 5 miles of the giant Marylin Monroe Statue.

Truth is, I don't even know if her likeness still stands in downtown Palm Springs.

The other truth is, I don't know much about art. And even less about the Modernism Motif. But I am learning as it has become essential to decorating my rental property. Not just essential, but mandatory according to PS Ordinance 347B/kw. 

So I took it upon myself to undertake a primer on Modernism or what the Nazi's called "Degenerative Art" -- this according to Wikipedia.

If the Nazis didn't like it, there must be something good about it. They also called it "Jew Art" and/or "Negro Art." In my book, that's about as high a recommendation there is.  

This is more than ironic. I really hate to reference our 25 year old ABC TV work, the Yellow campaign that changed my life (mostly for the better), but in its day people referred to it as "having a uniquely Post Modern flavor." 

Being the art troglodyte, I'm not even sure that one could properly equate Post Modernism with Modernism. You can call me a Neanderthal but I'm pretty sure I beat you to the punch.

As of late I've had a few "heated" discussions with my daughters about Modernism and how to incorporate it into the humble abode. My abode until the oxygen intake stops, I reiterate to them. Amongst their suggestions, I selected these two pieces that I agreed have a modern feel but also the appropriate whimsy and snark. 


I agreed to hang these pieces if they agreed to buy them. 

To date I have not received their contribution.

I often joke that my late uncle, who lived in the house for 20 years, was possibly the only gay man in Palm Springs without a sense of taste or design. However, he did own a prized and apparently-valuable signed Calder Print that I brought back from its Culver City location and hung in a prominent location in its former home.

No point to any of this, suffice to say that if you have an itching to explore your degenerative side and want to soak in the Modernism as well as the unbeatable desert sun, you know who to call. Or write: siegelrich@mac.com 

Inquiries are coming in hot. 

Did I mention the 12 person jacuzzi?




No comments: